Non military kits.

Michael-1286978

As a kit builder for 50+ years I can remember the multitude of non military kits Airfix has offered to keen modellers over those years. Although I have made many military, for historic value, kits I have become increasingly weary and less interested; mainly due to developing troubles and conflicts around the World, to the point where military subjects have little interest. 

Yes, I know that the military genre is, by far, the most popular subject, but I do long for something else for those of us, for various reasons, who want to put our skills to something else. I remember, as a youngster, all those motor car kits produced in the late sixties and seventies, in particular, together with the historical figures like Oliver Cromwell, The Black Prince and Henry the Eighth, etc. It brought back good memories of childhood building the more resent re-releas of Henry "8th,"  the hover craft....and the Bond Bug is great. If memory serves I can remember other car kits too; like the mini, Reliant Regal and many others from Austin, Roots Group to name but a few. I have a moon landing craft in my kit stash that will be built in the near future.

By all means cary on with your bread and butter military kits, but there is also a World full of interesting subjects to choose from too. I recall a company releasing a model of a Massey Ferguson tractor at some point in time too. Now that's an idea! Tractors, lorries, tug boats, space, historic vehicles like traction Engines, motorcycles, cruise ships; in fact a whole plethora of wonderful subjects! The list is endless.....

So, come on Airfix, there must be tens of thousands of keen modellers, who are all yearning for something other than military kits.

• Like 2

Hear Hear! I've thought the same for years. 

I'd love to see a decent range of newly tooled General Aviation Aircraft - Cessnas, Pipers, Beechcraft - all in something decent like 1/48th.  Not just the regulars like the 1/72 and PA-28, but some of the vast array of other aircraft. 

There's also a huge range of farm or construction machinery that would make really interesting models. 

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking Airfix need to expand their kit rage to include non military subjects. 

Yes, some civil aircraft would be a welcome addition to the Airfix range. It would be nice to see some kits with Rhodesia airways decals, in particular, as it would remind me of home during the time when Rhodesia was a British Colony; before the country was ruined by political medalling. That's a point, if Airfix would take note, why not offer packs of alternative decals and colour schemes, for non military subjects, for existing kits! 

I do agree that 1/48 scale gives kit builders more scope for detail and dioramas, but 1/72 is better suited to those people, like myself, who live in compact sheltered housing with very limited space.

In my stash I have two quick build kits, by Revell, of tractors that will, with some painting and weathering effects make good dioramas. One off the Italian brands produce a nice example of a Massey Ferguson tractor too.

In fact most brands produce a whole plathora of non military subjects too. I have a AMC model in my stash of a D69 bulldozer in, I think, 1/48 scale; together with a sizable stash of old Matchbox kits.

I did enjoy the "steam engine" kits released some years back; although it would have been nice to have had the components to build a working model, if the components to motorise the kits were included!

I suspect I have, over a lifetime of happy kit building, made mostly everything Airfix have ever produced. So, for me, and I'm sure many other builders too, will be feeling a bit starved for something new, other than decades old re-releases of old kits and "Airfix" rebranded kits from other manufacturers.

Building model kits, I'm sorry to say, is seen as an old chaps hobby, by youngsters these days. I'm sad to say that, but it's true. And I do believe that if Airfix don't inject (no pun intended) some new, fresh, subjects into their catalogue of kits then they will start see a drop off of sales as those of us start to fade into memory, so to speak.

And there's another topic; model clubs. Over the years I have tried clubs to be overwhelmingly populated by people who are full of envy and jealousy towards others modelers' work; resulting in a toxic environment where members are unltra competitive to the point were they won't pass on their knowledge (or secrets to be kept to themselves) to lesser knowledgeable builders. Maybe it's something within our society of anger, aggression and mean spiritedness. I think those of us, who are off a curtain age should be more open to embracing new ones to the hobby; because as it is today we are in danger of the hobby fading into obscurity. 

Well, I've had my say for today, so I'll say by,by for now.

Edited by Michael-1286978
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Michael-1286978 said:

And there's another topic; model clubs. Over the years I have tried clubs to be overwhelmingly populated by people who are full of envy and jealousy towards others modelers' work; resulting in a toxic environment where members are unltra competitive to the point were they won't pass on their knowledge (or secrets to be kept to themselves) to lesser knowledgeable builders. Maybe it's something within our society of anger, aggression and mean spiritedness. I think those of us, who are off a curtain age should be more open to embracing new ones to the hobby; because as it is today we are in danger of the hobby fading into obscurity. 

(Sorry for the off-topic) Can't speak for model clubs, as I've never attended one, but I can say that forums like this one are generally full of supportive, friendly and completely un-competitive fellow modelers who're just trying to have a bit of fun. It's worth sticking with if you have the time. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, A J Rimmer said:

(Sorry for the off-topic) Can't speak for model clubs, as I've never attended one, but I can say that forums like this one are generally full of supportive, friendly and completely un-competitive fellow modelers who're just trying to have a bit of fun. It's worth sticking with if you have the time. 

Too true but if you look at the number of people active here vs other forums you'll see that its pretty quiet here comparatively speaking. Also this sort of thing tends to be for older people, young people don't do forums as a rule.

I'm in my 40s and would hazard a guess that I am one of the younger posters here. As much as I hate to say it, young people are generally not interested. Plastic modelling will go the way of Meccano sooner or later. Model railways too I'd say.

Edited by Marto

On 17/08/2024 at 19:10, Michael-1286978 said:

I recall a company releasing a model of a Massey Ferguson tractor at some point in time too. Now that's an idea! Tractors, lorries, tug boats, space, historic vehicles like traction Engines, motorcycles, cruise ships; in fact a whole plethora of wonderful subjects! The list is endless.....

Heller do a Little Grey Fergie, also a modern Massey Fergie/Lamborghini. Revell do Porsche, Deutz and Fendt tractors in their Easy Click range. Don't be fooled by the Easy Click moniker, they're very detailed models. Now I'd best shut up otherwise I'll be in trouble for promoting other kit manufacturers. 😉 

On 21/08/2024 at 09:40, Michael-1286978 said:

I attend a model club (IPMS Rivenhall) and it's not at all like that. Obviously I can't speak for other clubs.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, peebeep said:

Heller do a Little Grey Fergie, also a modern Massey Fergie/Lamborghini. Revell do Porsche, Deutz and Fendt tractors in their Easy Click range. Don't be fooled by the Easy Click moniker, they're very detailed models. Now I'd best shut up otherwise I'll be in trouble for promoting other kit manufacturers. 😉 

Yes, I too have the Ravell tractor kits. Always a good option when you need a quick build fix. Airfix taxi and bus are great quick builds.

Edited by Michael-1286978

7 hours ago, peebeep said:

I attend a model club (IPMS Rivenhall) and it's not at all like that. Obviously I can't speak for other clubs.

Yes, I'm sure you are right that not all clubs are like that. I've probably been very unfortunate in having a not so happy experience of the model, wood working and various other crafting groups and clubs I've tried. Maybe I could set up a group, for newbies, in my locality as there isn't a group anywhere near my location.