FGW HST running issue.

Hi, can anyone help with my HST  .. not sure if anyone has had this problem with theirs but mines started to click and whir in relation to its speed

as its running. I cannot upload a clip yet as I cannot find a data cable for my phone. It has literally only run several hours if that.

It was purchased a while ago (Sept 2022) but was stored away as I had not  laid any track until this  year, so warranty has gone. 

It's the R30096 FGW and is fitted with a 21 pin Loksound decoder which sounds great. 

I cannot see anything obvious detached broken or missing. I have lightly oiled the axles and gearbox at the diffs above each bogie...

Anyone suffer similar and found the problem? 

Cheers Daz

Edited by Darren-373700

Posted (edited)

Cheers Karlo ..  under further investigation, the solder points (6) to the pc board have been removed and everything in the way shifted.

What I have discovered is the motor feels quite rough and scratchy.. is this a case of a few drops of oil or is it toast?

20240825_141758.jpg

Edited by Darren-373700

Posted (edited)

I didn't want to power it up out of the model after feeling how rough it felt .. 

Anyway as an update AND a potential fix, I removed the motor as above, then prized open the motor body by levering up the small tabs on both sides, this allows some work space

then I flushed with WD40 till the liquid was clean whilst spinning the motor by hand. Let it dry for ten minutes, then put some oil in with the pen type stuff, about half a teaspoons worth

Clip it back together and spin it up with a 9v battery. Re-install and re-solder all connection. Test run.....

Edited by Darren-373700

Posted (edited)

Forgot to mention in the first post, that the loco would not run smooth as in it would be very jerky when speeding up and slowing down, although in the second video there is still clicking heard, it is nothing like it was before and the slow down and take off is now brilliant ...like new!.

AND, it is intentionally running backwards, not wired up wrong! 😁

Cheers Daz

Edited by Darren-373700

1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

What is the power source?                                                                             Hornby Select

Is this DC or DCC.                                                                                         DCC   /  Loksound5 21 pin

What setting was it at in that brief video?                                                      Between notch 1 and 2 

Have you powered up to full power / performed a 'brief speed run'?              Yes, silky smooth .. will try with coaches soon.

Al.

• Thanks 1