BBD-Ltd, coreless motor kit and uprated cardan shafts

Rallymatt

10 of mine are quite a bit heavier to haul due to the weight of the lighting kit in them. When I tried all 12 I have, the KK system on the coaches starts to play up and couplings started to lock up and cause derailments. I did also run WW with a pretty substantial freight train too including the 10t tankers just to make sure it was getting a challenge. Not a sign of any heat management issues. The tell tale strip was recording the exact temp sector as the improved OE motor, well below the maximum rated temp. You should be fine with your long trains Garry 😁

• Thanks 1

The reason for Hornby not fitting coreless motors was mentioned in one of the designer interviews. The basic Hornby DC controller does not suit these motors. (I believe the pulse modulation frequency is far too low and the motors could overheat). To me this is the wrong solution - the tail wagging the dog as it were. They should have scrapped the cheap and unloved controllers and fitted the motors that best suited the models. But they probably have a few crates full of the controllers.

We will have to see how things go and I agree with the above observations that they should have got it right in the first place. Isn’t that part of the reason for TT:120? The Princesses show they can do it, although motor longevity is yet to be established for the 5-pole. 

Edited by dBerriff
  • Like 3

The basic controller with sets has caused more problems than it’s worth. Although mine still works fine on the odd occasions it does some DC testing, it’s not always been a great advert for Hornby. As all the stocks will be in China/Hong Kong and sent to which ever factory is packing various sets, it probably would not be that costly to ditch them and introduce a revised more capable one. With a lot of sets being sold DCC fitted and a PSU rather than a DC controller the demand for basic DC unit must be getting quite low. Reputation takes a lot of time and money to build but being cheap can knock it down in a heartbeat. 

Edited by Rallymatt
  • Like 3

Latest video on the Coreless motor kit from This Way Works being tested and going through 30 hour mark. I have also popped some time stamps in the description to show start of different tests etc plus supporting info, although I’ll copy it into here too for reference. 

As testing continues I though people might be interested to see some of the running the motor in WW has been subjected to. This video starts at the end of a 60 min non stop loaded (274g) train in reverse. The coaches are battery illuminated so this weight is equivalent to more than 7 std Hornby TT:120 MK1s. 
3:27 Total test running passes 30 hours, a celebratory whistle seemed in order. 
The loco has run a combination of tests including extended running with a 10 coach (illuminated) train, static weight 457g. Equivalent of 12 standard Hornby TT:120 MK1s. Over 20 hours run in both directions at a range of speeds, on occasion 90mins non stop under these load conditions. 
5:30 change of direction, speed altered automatically by decoder settings. 
8:20 speed dropped to speed step 1 and loco hauls dead weight for over 8 mins
15:32 close up as WW passes camera, showing the incredible smooth action of valve gear and wheels. Silky smooth. 
I had to purchase lower range temperature strips as both the modified OE motors and the coreless one here were getting no where near the claims some have made. I still maintain the OE motors get hot after they have failed, rather than temp being the cause of failure. Coreless motors are more susceptible to heat management issues owing to the lack of iron core to act a sea heat sink. Lower range temp strips showed both coreless and modified OE motors in any test condition did not exceed 25degrees. Coreless motors are rated to a maximum of 100-125 degrees before the winding resin starts to fail. 

Edited by Rallymatt
Extra info
  • Like 5

33 minutes ago, Silver Fox 17 said:

An excellent test Matt, good news on the temperature too, seems quite cool compared to what might have been expected.

There is nothing there to worry about so far.

Well the fireman could be waiting a very long time to cook his breakfast! 

• Haha 2

A video of Sir Nigel Gresley before and after fitting the coreless motor from Richard Bayliss.

I have not done the fitting of it like Matt did, just the loco running before and after.

Note, Matt runs on DCC, mine runs on DC.

Edited by Silver Fox 17
  • Like 6