Shaft issue, Hornby hopefully this helps?

Richard-358946

Hi everyone, I have done a video that shows what the shafts are doing for the pinging out issue... Under certain circumstances they can pop out, pulling high loads on corners/tight curves would be the main culprit, picking up the locos and twisting the bogies at the same time could also cause this issue, i think thats why theres such a mixed bag of this happening or not because its a bit of a phenomenon... 

Hopefully this helps Hornby and us TT'ers

https://youtu.be/2Hozv1vc58w?si=rwFwSc01PbMVwuTX

• Like 7

Thanks Fishmanoz, I will drop them a link to the video

Yes Rallymatt the only real way to explain it all is as a phenomenon really.. not so sure the washers are really needed on the 50 however one thing is very common between the HST and the 50, the shafts are too bendy! Almost like fish bones! 

• Like 3

The drive cups on the 50 in my video were definitely deeper and the shaft was no where near popping out like the 43. It’s a very accute angle it needs to start to creep out, I think you may also be on to something with handling as well,  if the bogies swing right round. 
Great fix packing drive cups on the 43. I know of someone who has lost some other plastic washers! I’ll have a look about and see if there are any brass ones for the gear towers. 
Great work as usual 😁👍

• Like 1

Looking at that video it does appear that the shaft pocket on the bogie tower could slide along the shaft by a mm to bring it closer and prevent the shaft popping out on full lock.  This is what I've had to do with other brands of loco having similar problems and have mentioned before as a possible fix. [edit] Ah, as suggested later on in the video.

Edited by ntpntpntp
  • Like 2

@Richard-358946  that is a great fix so when will the class 43 shafts be ready i got to send my class 43 back it will cost a  few quid to send it back to hornby .

so i would like to get some  just in case it  happens again .

I would like to thank you for taking   your time to work these things out so we can get to enjoy our models as they should  be run   hornby should employ you 

Edited by happy tt
hornby
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, happy tt said:

@Richard-358946  that is a great fix so when will the class 43 shafts be ready i got to send my class 43 back it will cost a  few quid to send it back to hornby .

so i would like to get some  just in case it  happens again .

I would like to thank you for taking   your time to work these things out so we can get to enjoy our models as they should  be run   hornby should employ you 

HST wise, Im hoping in about two weeks if a design change is not needed, Various trial tests have been carried out, Ive only got 4hrs on my HST set currently but results look really promising, Ive sent some test samples out to some unsuspecting volunteers! 🤣 to also test them to "destruction", see if theres any issues before they get released 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@Richard-358946 I hope  that  you're tests  goes very well there a some sick  TT  120 class 43 s out there that  need some help lol.

i'm sending my class 43 to a+e at margate for some corrective surgery on it's hip lol🤣 cam shafts so it can run  and play again 

i will buy some of the replacement cam shafts ready  for the next time it goes bye bye and i can't find it  😄 thanks

• Like 1