Programming track. Integration into main layout.

Captain_Francisco.

I would like to make the programmimg track a siding off the main layout, as in the instructional video for the 'Elite' in the Hornby Website, and isolate it using a R618 isolating track controlled by a R 047 'on-off' switch. Could one then connect said

controller to both the main layout track and the programmimg track, using the ports provided; programme a loco on the programming track, throw the switch, and then drive the newly programmed loco onto the circuit using the controller, or drive two locos onto

the siding, isolate it, set them up as a double headed consist, then reset the switch, and drive the consist off back onto the main cicuit: no "hand of God removing and replacing. Are there any complications or is there a potential for damage in this setup

that I am not seeing?

I've done exactly that! A siding, the double pole double throw (DPDT) switch has the connectors in the centre of the six joined to the siding track, which is isolated from the rest of the layout. The programming output from the Elite goes to one side of

the switch, and the 'running' output to the other.

Just flip the switch, as appropriate.

As I have a lot of DCC locos, I've added another isolating switch in the 'running' wires from the Elite to the rest of the layout, so when I'm programming a chip,

I can be doubly sure I'm not resetting the whole lot by accident!

An R047 switch lever would not be able to provide double rail isolation switching! You would need two of them operated together to do this.

Best is to use a DPDT centre and perhaps a Off type toggle switch.

Typical programming track selection switch

wiring is shown on this website if its of any help?.... http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/DCC.htm#Programming%20Track

Archived