addressing old hornby decoders purchased in 2007

bigbonce

hopefully a simple question. I was thinking of purchasing a secondhand select to do no more than address some old point decoders. Once addressed I will be using another controller to operate the points. Does the select have programming outputs similar

to the elite. Thankyou for any advice.

why would you want the select to set the addresses in some decoders? The select has very limited capabilities. The other controller that you have should be able to set an address in nmra compliant accessory decoders.

is there some more background

to this question?

Gregd99 said:

why would you want the select to set the addresses in some decoders? The select has very limited capabilities. The other controller that you have should be able to set an address in nmra compliant accessory decoders.

is

there some more background to this question?
hi greg your comment is interesting. I have the prodigy advance which will address accessory decoders using I believe cv513.
However looking at other forums and indeed contacting the prodigy tech (guage++++)

it is not always possible to address the early hornby decoders. Yes I agree all things should be nmra compliant but this is simply not the case.

I do remember some discussion about problems programming the 8216 decoders early on. A solution, I seem to recall, was to connect them to a powered track and then quickly swap them to a programming track and program them.

a similar question has

been asked at https://www.hornby.com/forums/hornby-forums/hornby-digital/1138/#post11109

is it worth mucking around or better to invest in some new ones?

Gregd99 said:

I do remember some discussion about problems programming the 8216 decoders early on. A solution, I seem to recall, was to connect them to a powered track and then quickly swap them to a programming track and program them.

a

similar question has been asked at https://www.hornby.com/forums/hornby-forums/hornby-digital/1138/#post11109

is it worth mucking around or better to invest in some new ones?

Archived