DCC point control

WindyMiller

I finally got around to start the change over from analogue to DCC point control. I am using the Hornby Elite and the Hornby R8247. The instructions suggested using group 1, output 1 to start with and got the unit to throw successively using ACC 1. The

problem came when trying to use JMRI (currently I use this for loco control) , a number of hours later and more luck than research (random button pushing) I found the R8247 output 1 to have an address of XT4.

Does anyone know how the R8247 picks its

decoder code for each of the 4 outputs? Will I have to randomly go through a long list to codes to find the correct setting for each turnout?

Help would be appreciated.

Tnaknks

this is interesting.....

the addressing that is exposed to the outside world from the elite via the pc interface has the points mis-addressed. I think that they are numbered from 0 but they should be numbered from 1.

In JMRI this is corrected

and with my elite and a lenz accessory decoder it all works perfectly with the points numbered XT1 (for the non-jmri X=xpressnet, T=turnout/point) to XT6.

I am guessing that the 8247 interprets the numbering in the same way as the elite. Based on this

I would guess that you points will be numbered either XT4,5,6,7 or XT4,1,2,3.

Have a try and let us know how you go.

Thanks Gregd99.

With a bit more trial and error you supposition was correct.

hornby 1=XT4

hornby 2=XT5

hornby 3=XT6

hornby 4=XT7

I should have continued yesterday but I was getting brain fatigue and once I got the first success called

it a night.

It is interesting that this is not recorded anywhere, not even implied, it is very much a trial and error process and I still don't see the logic behind it. The next stage is to program the second module with a different group and determine

what code it allocates. I will keep you posted.

On another note I was surprised how little information on wiring came with the decoder or point motor for DCC connection. I had to search through the customer services posts to find black was common not

-ve and green was -ve. My logic was red +ve black -ve green C like the old British wire colours but I was wrong, easy to fix though.

Must say the R8247 does give a reassuring solid thump when throwing.

WM

Archived