Engine shorting problem

Newfan

I have just purchased a mixed freight set which was working fine until the controller started flashing 12 30 and the trains stopped working. On other forum I have worked this out to be one of the locks shorting the track. Does anyone have a suggestion

of how I can fix this easily or what might be the cause. It was working fine then on the next switch on wasn't?

Do you get the error with no locos on the track? If so, then check for matal on the track, such as a track pin and also check the connections to the track and controller to see that a stray wires is not touching both terminals.

Have you tried putting

one loco at a time on the track to see which loco may be causing the problem?

Newfan, I'm assuming you've already done as suggested by poliss and tried each loco by itself and you get the short only when one of them is on the track and not the other. Assuming there is nothing obvious stuck there causing the short, I would take the

set back to the shop, or at least the loco, for repair/replacement under warranty.

Willaov, can you give more detail? Do you mean it shorts out with just the track and no locos when you have installed the points in your layout? If so, try putting the points in one at a time to see if one particular point is causing it by having a short

in it.

Or if your layout has more than one power connection, are their polarities reversed?

Or does it only happen when you have crossover points set to go from one loop to another? If so, do you have insulating rail joiners in the crossover? If not,

you need them.

If none of my suggestions apply, tell us more about how and when the short occurs.

Fishmanoz said:

Newfan, I'm assuming you've already done as suggested by poliss and tried each loco by itself and you get the short only when one of them is on the track and not the other. Assuming there is nothing obvious stuck there causing

the short, I would take the set back to the shop, or at least the loco, for repair/replacement under warranty.

Archived