Running by remote?

KaCee

Basically, to explain...

I am in the process of building a fairly large layout (about 16 ft x 5 ft) upstairs in a storage room. I will be setting up e-link and a PC with Railmaster to run the system with.

The twist is that my wife, who isn't

as into trains as I am, but is still somewhat interested, is in a wheelchair, and thus cant get upstairs to the layout.

I have installed 6 webcams so that she can see the layout and what is going on, but is there any way to allow her to tie into the

Railmaster PC upstairs and run the layout by remote?

perhaps pedantic but isn't it the railmaster software that allows access with hand-held devices - ipad, iphone, etc - rather than the e-link?

if my understanding is correct then it doesn't matter whether you use the (future) e-link or (current)

elite. on the other hand e-link plus railmaster seems way cheaper.

Hi all

Thats correct

the Railmaster controls the Elite or e-Link

althou at the moment we dont know exactly what the functions available with e-Link are

IPads and other devices work by connecting to the computers wi-fi connection thus connecting

to the Railmaster,

if you have another computer down stairs you could network them using standard network cable (its faster over distance ) then you could operate the layout from both down stairs or in the loft, using your web cam setup, even better if

a couple of them are controlable

a network cable is ok for around 100 ft before needing a booster.

but dont forget the wi-fi conection is not available from hornby yet, nor is the e-Link

best of luck with your project

Mike

Hi

The way i see it

the computer (Desktop/Laptop) will have a wi-fi option already incorperated in it

most laptops anyway, for desk tops you can always fit one ( card or USB)

Railmaster will be wi-fi compliant

so if railmaster can connect

to the e-link by wi fi, then so can the ipad or other wi-fi enabled devices, through Railmaster, via the computer ???

i have used JMRI connected through the Elite and if JMRI has the Iphone app enabled i can control the locos / points with my iphone

!! i would think it would work the same

Mike

Archived