Corrupt Elite

TerryG300

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have tried to update my Elite to 1.41 version, my PC runs Windows 7 OK.

First of all I tried to do the driver part of the update, but 7 wouldn't accept the Hornby drivers, it said the current windows driver was best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and there is no way to overide it.

SO I decided to leave alone and get advice, but like a pratt I clicked the update icon and the update started, unfortunatly it ended with "update failed".

I then disconnedted the elite and reconnected to find --nothing---

on bootup, except for a flashing green light.

I got my old PC with XP on it and after waitng for all the updates to take place tried again, this time the drivers were accepted, but now the PC won't allow the update, it comes up with an error.

So what

can I do?

Hi TerryG, don't despair, try again. You clearly have a good idea what you are doing or you wouldn't have recovered in the first place - clever that using your XP setup to fix it.

There's lots of previous advice here about 1.41 update problems, including

that Hornby themselves at Margate use only 2 PCs to do it because those 2 work reliably. But people also find they have to try a few times to get it to work. It worked for me at the 2nd attempt. So follow the instructions absolutely meticulously, including

using update mode with the order of connection of things and holding buttons for 15 seconds and give it a few tries. Try it with each of your machines.

If still unsuccessful, contact HCC and return it to them as they are providing a free update service

that people report is working well.

Terry, it's known to work on XP and Windows 7 32 and 64 bit (I did it on the latter). It's not the operating system but it does seem to be somewhat fiddly on the particular configuration of the machine. You could try disabling virus protection while you

do it and make sure nothing else is running. Do try your Win 7 machine again too remembering all the instructions.

And if no joy, HCC will do it for you.

Yes - turn OFF all anti-virus and anti-spyware, and be prepared to have several goes. It took me about five goes before the update decided to work, and I've had no problems since. Don't try to hurry the download, it sometimes seems like it has stopped,

or frozen, but just leave it, don't try running anything else, and it will eventually sort itself out.

Archived