Accessory decoder 8216 addressing

bigbonce

Ihave been attempting to address some old hornby accessory decoders 8216 but without success using the select controller.I have followed the manueladdressing no:60 etc and find two problems. Firstly having addressed the decoder the only output that works

is no 60 ie not the remaining 61-62-63 etc even though the latter should automatically address. This occurs on several decoders. the second problem is that the red light flashes eight times not seven in which the Manuel says re address again if it flashes

more than seven times. I am beginning to wonder whether the decoders are faulty. the reason for this is that I am told that if a short circuit occurs on the track for what ever reason it can knockout the addresses but can such a short circuit damage an accessory

decoder which after all is powered constantly by the track. if anybody has any thought they would be welcome.

What is the firmware version of your Select? You'll see the number when you switch it on.

early SELECTs pre firmware 1.1, allowed 60 to be used as the first number within the first point group. Version 1.1 SELECTs start the point numbering for the first

point group as 61-64. This corresponds with the normal NMRA practice.

Note that some R8247 decoders were incorrectly labelled as an R8216 in production.. i.e. the aluminium product label on the underside of the unit is incorrect.. However the packaging

and instructions are correct. There is a date code on the underside of the unit.. engraved into the underside you will find the numbers 50/07.. this identifies the unit as R8247. Any earlier date code is a R8216.

Fishmanoz said:

Try addressing from 61 and see if you get all 4. If I remember correctly, latest Select Firmware only allows the single address of 60 if you use that with 4 address groups starting at 61.

thankyou for your replies.

I downloaded the select manual which stated to address from 60 and this would automatically address presume outputs 61-62-63. However i then managed to obtain another select manual whether an ealier printed version i do not know which gave different instructions

ie 60 will only address one output but to address all four outputs start at no 61 i do beg the question whether hornby makes life easy for the consumer or not with conflicting information or to at least provide more info on there web site for problems that

may arise

Archived