Elite Upload

PhilT

I have just tried to update my elite from 1.3 to 1.4. The upload failed. I noticed the com port did not show elite so I updated the driver and got the message 3rd party INF does not contain digital signature. Now my elite is not working, only green lamp

flashing on right side. Any ideas.

Does anyone know how to get a digital signature upload for driver?

Everyone told me not to go with Elite, so I hope this does not prove them right.

I am using windows 8. No problems until now.

Thanks

Phil

It is possible to get around W 8 requiring the. Digital signature as its default. Don't remember how myself but try googling it. I'm sure it's a setting somewhere in Control Panel. Apart from that the Upgrade procedure is exactly as for W 7.

Getting

HCC to tell you and everyone the answer is a good idea too, as would Hornby getting the signature.

It is possible to get around W 8 requiring the. Digital signature as its default. Don't remember how myself but try googling it. I'm sure it's a setting somewhere in Control Panel. Apart from that the Upgrade procedure is exactly as for W 7.

Getting

HCC to tell you and everyone the answer is a good idea too, as would Hornby getting the signature.

Found the solution to running the driver under W 8: right click on the installation file, select Run in Compatibility Mode and select Previous Version. Now it should run for .you. Having installed, go to Device Manager and verify the port as per the Hornby

update instructions and flow them meticulously, including disconnecting from track, disconnecting the power and doing the 15 seconds thing with the power connection. You should have no problem once the driver is in and you know which port.

Hi all

I had the same problem myself last night trying to upgrade

admittedly with win7

every thing whent ok till the end of the download stage

when it got there it said download failure

i tried several times, even though the com port

setting were good

and it showed the elite ok

still no go

elite was dead, sitting there with green light flashing

lucky for me my main desktop is still runnin XP Pro

run the update here and every thing whent ok first time

elite now upgraded

and working ok connected to my win7 laptop

looking back through several posts this seems to be a problem with mostpeople with win7 / 8

not much help in this case for you, unless you can find someone with XP to help you out

Rgds

Mike

Thanks everyone. Managed to overcome the W8 driver problem with help from hornby customer service. Now my problem is same as Mike G. Have contacted customer service again, but will try and get another PC with W7 to try and upgrade but will continue along

with customer services until resolved. Its a shame I have this problem as unfortunately many of my club members did not recommend this route, ie Hornby and it appears they are having the last laugh. Never mind I will persever. Keep comment coming good to know

others there to help.

This is not a W 7/8 problem, and it's not a 32/64 bit problem either. Plenty report having successfully upgraded on W 7 32 and 64 bit machines, and W 8 is only 7 with a fancy apps style front end. There are 2 causes for the problem as far as I can see:

-

it appears some hardware configurations can be difficult, although not impossible, and

- some have difficulty getting the upgrade procedure right, even though the Hornby instructions do work if followed exactly.

So do make sure for a start that you

download the correct driver - it is different for XP and Vista/7/8 - do disconnect from track and power before you start and make sure you know which port the driver is on, and do press stop for 15 seconds before and after connecting the Elite to power and

the USB connections as per instructions, and do run as Administrator (all as per the instructions) and if it doesn't work first time, try again. Mine worked second time.

Good luck all.

And if you still have trouble and are in the UK, send back to Margate. Everyone who has done that reports success and good service.

Look particularly for GordonBigBoy's post where he went to Margate and spoke to the person who did the upgrade for him

while he waited. It's on this forum from around Christmas.

Well i did all those things

and tried several times

even cleaned every thing out the computer including the registry

and tried again to no luck

even tried adjusting the usb port settings, still no go

like i said pluged into the Win WP Pro

desktop

it installed the drives and updated the elite first time no problems

i did notice that the dowload time was slower on the XP machine

maybe win 7/8 is running to quick for the elite ??? making it drop out at the end

just a thought !!!

anyway

mines ok now so i am happy ( at the moment)

Mike

Well done Mike, glad you have been successful - another one to add to that list.

But don't try to use this as evidence that W 7/8 don't work because they do. I did it with W 7 64 bit for a start. It is consistent with the different hardware/firmware

configurations in the 2 machines you used, including your slower download time which is probably a combination of your Ethernet and/or wifi hardware, and the traffic volume at the time.

Thanks all. After working with Customer services we found that W8 security has to be changed to allow not digital signature software to upload therebye correctly enabling the com port. It still kept failing to update the elite, but after borrowing an XP

laptop it worked first time.

Once again thanks to all.

Archived