Decoder Wires

Sidders100

Hi Guys

Bought a 4 function decoder today to install in Gordon and the black wire came off the board after I barely touched it. Does anyone know if you can get a refund/swap out when this happens? Its pretty much impossible to get back on unless

you are a brain surgeon and is £17 down the pan if I just have to goet another one.

Cheers

I'm very, very new to this DDC malarky and bought 4 Hornby decoders to fit into my old DC loco's and exactly the same thing happened to me. Two out of the four decoders had their wires come off - one had the black and the red come off (the black came off

as I took it out of the sealed packet, carefully before anyone says anything) and the other had the black wire come of just as I was finishing fitting it to a loco.

Not to be outdone I just got a magnifying glass and soldered them back on with the smallest

bit to my soldering iron I could find, they worked OK but this shouldn't have happened in the first place. Maybe Hornby should be looking at their (Contractor?) manufacturing process on these?

Graham

That's too technical for the forum. I have been using Hotnby decoders because they are okay for the money but the biggest bugbear is the wire connections. Try drop of superglue on the wires 25mm BEFORE the joints and it will make like a cable clamp, joining

the them in a bunch. That strengthens them. Only a small drop though, it has worked for me.

Took it back to modelzone and they would have replaced it but I chucked the plug away after cutting it off. This is the second one I have binned due to the wires. Are other brands more solid in this dept?

Oh and it was for Gordon who now runs a

dream until I put the cover back on. I have tried zillions of times and it sounds just like something is snagging but the wires are all taped back. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Struggling to describe the sound but its a buzz and clear something is wrong!

Another decoder bites the dust. Still got the problem when I put Gordons tender cover back on so it meant playing with the wires to get it to fit. No matter how careful I was.......black wire gone shortly followed by the grey. Rubbish. Time to try something

else....

Archived