Short when inserting a chip?

Neil_Evans

Hi, i just bought a couple of hornby dcc chips to fit into my locos. I've got a lima class 60 and a hornby 156.

Both have been running fine on dc for ages, but after a nice Christmas present, I'm going dcc. I decided to fit the chip into the 156 as

it is dcc ready, so should be a straight plug and play.

After following all instructions very carefully, chip was in and ready to go. However, when placing the train back on the track, it seemed to short something out. The lights on the select unit went

out and the lcd started flashing "30" and every time it did, the train lurched forward half an inch.

I immediately unplugged the unit and took the train off track. The chip was warm. I checked that I'd put it in the right way, and it seemed ok. I tried

the other chip, just in case i had a duff one, but the same happened again.

I've removed the chip, put the banking plate back in, and it runs fine, even on the dcc layout (address 0). This isn't ideal i know, but wanted to make sure it didn't short any

other time.

Has anyone else had this? Is it an internal short somewhere? Is there anything i can do?

Neil.

There often are 'spare' wires coming from the chip. Just make sure there's a scrap of insulating tape on the end, so it cannot touch anything.

Also - when you push the chip into the socket, make sure you aren't pushing it in too far - sometimes the

pins can go right through, and touch the chassis.

Pin 1 is the orange motor connection, so you should be able to trace from the socket to the motor. The other grey motor connection is in the diagonally opposite corner pin 5. Then pin 8 next to pin 1 goes to one pickup and again, the diagonally opposite

pin 4 to the other.

You can see from this that even if you plug in the wrong way around, the loco will still run but all the function connections to lights etc will be wrong.

The fact that it worked at all means that both motor connections must be

there, so I'd check again for a connection to pin 1.

Aside for the problem, you say the decoder was hot/warm, did you handle the decoder? Components on the decoders are static sensitive so should only be handled with suitable anti-static handling equipment. Touch a decoder and you can kill it or cause long

term damage to the components that will cause a fault to manifest itself later on in the decoders life.

Archived