2014?

Jeremiah

The 2013 range did suprise most of us. OK so what are people wanting for the 2014 range?

Me:

A new AC Electric (Class 86 or 90) in EWS or Freightliner livery.

Class 60 in Loadhaul livery.

A new King Class in GWR green.

Class 08 in

RfD livery without DCC sound.

Class 67 in other versions of EWS and Arriva Trains Wales.

ATW MK3 coaches and a DVT.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wishlist would include a Drummond 700, a Stroudley E1, any locomotive designed by Harry Wainwright (such as a D, P or H class or maybe a remake of the old Wrenn R1) and a terrier in black Isle of Wight Central Railway livery.

Jeremiah

said:

The 2013 range did suprise most of us. OK so what are people wanting for the 2014 range?

Me:

A new AC Electric (Class 86 or 90) in EWS or Freightliner livery.

Class 60 in Loadhaul livery.

A new King Class in GWR green.

Class

08 in RfD livery without DCC sound.

Class 67 in other versions of EWS and Arriva Trains Wales.

ATW MK3 coaches and a DVT.

I don't want much -

Select from

SECR 'H', 0-4-4T

SR 'L1' 4-4-0

SR 'U' or 'U1' 2-6-0,

BR/EE Bo-B0 E5000 electric,

4Sub or 4EPB Bulleid style suburban electric

Batch 3 air smoothed Merchant Navy (in blue),

Night Ferry Sleeping

Cars and guard/luggage vans,

Metropolitan Bo-Bo electric loco

Metropolitan Dreadnought carriages

LPTB O/P/Q/R Surface stock

My word, LC&DR, that's a very short list for you!! I've been meaning to ask 'Are you going to do the tender on one of your Cs to give you the O1??'

My list is the usual one. All LNER

K1

B16 original and rebuilt

D20

Q6

J21

G5

A8

There

was an article in Model Rail on how to convert a B1 to a K1. Now I've finished work I may have a go at that.

Postman Prat said:

My word, LC&DR, that's a very short list for you!! I've been meaning to ask 'Are you going to do the tender on one of your Cs to give you the O1??'

That would be like changing the tender of

a J39 and calling it a J27, they are totally different locomotives! You really should get your Observer's book of Locomotives out and study it more carefully.

I already have an 'O1' anyway (31048) which is 33% Hornby.

Even when they're stood side-by-side the only difference that I've been able to see is the tender. I don't know where my observers book is!!!

Anyway, for the sake of good order, please explain the (visual) differences.

LC&DR said:

That

would be like changing the tender of a J39 and calling it a J27, they are totally different locomotives! You really should get your Observer's book of Locomotives out and study it more carefully.

Postman Prat said:

Anyway, for the sake of good order, please explain the (visual) differences.

LC&DR said:

That would be like changing the tender of a J39 and calling it a J27, they are totally different locomotives! You really

should get your Observer's book of Locomotives out and study it more carefully.

My pleasure.

Boiler - O1 is smaller diameter,
Smokebox - O1 is smaller diameter,
Chimney

- O1 is taller,
Dome - O1 is smaller,
Sandboxes - C is combined with centre splasher, O1 is beneath running plate,
Cab - O1 is narrower,
Footsteps - C has them between leading and centre driving wheels, O1 doesn't.

The C was actually an

updated version of Kirtley's LC&DR class B, and not based on the Stirling domeless SER 'O' class design. There were some similarities of course, chiefly the wheelbase and wheel diameter. Contrarily Wainwright who found that the LC&DR designs were more robust

and efficient rebuilt some of the 'O' class to his preferences using his 'H' class boiler, and the rebuilds were classified 'O1'. The Southern Railway scrapped the 'O's which were not rebuilt. The last 'O' in original condition was the one actually sold to

the East Kent Railway, but was also rebuilt to 'O1' configuration at Ashford in 1932 for the EKR and returned to BR at nationalisation. The 'O' was a tender version of the 'R', which Wainwright similarly rebuilt for use on the Folkestone Harbour branch.

The

SE&CR 'D' was a development of the LC&DR 'M3' brought up to date by Waiwright and Surtees, with his styling, and further improved by Maunsell as the 'D1' . The other Wainwright standard class, the 'H' 0-4-4T bore little resemblance to any previous design.

rayarpino said:

Could we please, please have an Atlantic or two, preferably NER though I'll go for Southern.

Thanks Hornby.

I was thinking of Atlantics as well. Arn't the GER C1 and the LBSCR H1 and H2 classes pretty

much the same locomotive, with the exception of the H2's superheater? If so, Hornby could produce models of the Bluebell Railway's full size replica of Beachy Head and a "Klondyke" from very similar tooling.

There must also be a reasonable market for

Great Central locomotives given that Bachmann have introduced models of the Robinson O4, D11 'Improved Director' and J11 'Pom-pom' all within the space of a couple of years. Hornby could do well to make a GCR locomotive themselves, and the C4 'Jersey Lilly'

Atlantic would be a great choice.

rayarpino said:

Could we please, please have an Atlantic or two, preferably NER though I'll go for Southern.

Thanks Hornby.

I was thinking of Atlantics as well. Arn't the GER C1 and the LBSCR H1 and H2 classes pretty

much the same locomotive, with the exception of the H2's superheater? If so, Hornby could produce models of the Bluebell Railway's full size replica of Beachy Head and a "Klondyke" from very similar tooling.

There must also be a reasonable market for

Great Central locomotives given that Bachmann have introduced models of the Robinson O4, D11 'Improved Director' and J11 'Pom-pom' all within the space of a couple of years. Hornby could do well to make a GCR locomotive themselves, and the C4 'Jersey Lilly'

Atlantic would be a great choice.

rayarpino said:

Thanks Hornby.

Great choices, I would like a Brighton Atlantic, such as a model of the Bluebell Line's

new replica of the LBSCR H2 "Beachy Head", and a Great Central C4 "Jersey Lilly" Atlantic.

Awaite said:

Great choices, I would like a Brighton Atlantic, such as a model of the Bluebell Line's new replica of the LBSCR H2 "Beachy Head", and a Great Central C4 "Jersey Lilly" Atlantic.

There must be a strong

market for GCR locomotives for the blue box company to produce the Robinson O4, D11 Director and J11 Pom-pom in the space of a couple of years. A C4 Jersey Lilly could be the way Hornby capitalizes on this market.

I'd be very happy with this but one must admit that the NER engines have been sadly neglected although it was one of the largest companies in the pre-grouping era. As far as I can remember, we haven't had anything at all "out of the box" in NER livery

since "JOEM", the 060 that was produced by a now defunct company. Something or more to grace the series of NER lineside buildings recebtly introduced by Hornby would certainly prove a popular choice. Seems logical, doesn't it? And some NER and GCR coaches

while we're at it....

rayarpino said:

I'd be very happy with this but one must admit that the NER engines have been sadly neglected although it was one of the largest companies in the pre-grouping era. As far as I can remember, we haven't had anything at all "out

of the box" in NER livery since "JOEM", the 060 that was produced by a now defunct company. Something or more to grace the series of NER lineside buildings recebtly introduced by Hornby would certainly prove a popular choice. Seems logical, doesn't it? And

some NER and GCR coaches while we're at it....

It was inevitable that 'Big 4' and BR Standard classes form the bulk of the popular RTR model locomotives, as these are likely to appeal to more enthusiasts than pre-Grouping classes. The other

difficulty with pre-Grouping is the huge variety which means that large classes that survived late into BR days will be a safer bet than small obscure classes that disappeared before or shortly after Nationalisation. The LMSR and GWR followed a policy of standardisation

replacing older classes much more quickly than the LNER or Southern did, so types that were adopted by the 'big 4'from pre-grouping companies as standard types are more likely to find their way into the catalogue. The other factor is the number of enthusiasts

that follow a particular district's practices.

This all means that some pre-Grouping companies' types are more likely to feature than others. For example Midland rather than L&NWR, Great Northern or Great Central rather than Great Eastern or North

Eastern. L&SWR and SE&CR rather than LB&SCR. The Welsh Valley companies stand little chance! The J72 was a remarkable survivor, being selected for post-Nationalisation construction, albeit small batch, of a pre-Grouping type more or less unaltered.

The

North Eastern Railway is undoubtedly a worthy case, as too is the Great Eastern, and the Caledonian, for future models. However Hornby's policy at present seems to favour big engines, it seems to be content to allow the Blue Box Co. to shoulder the small engine

production. I am not confident that we shall get much change in this direction. You may find it more productive in this quest to look elsewhere.

No matter what we try we will never get an AC electric :'( It's really very sad. I know some people say that there isn't demand but I know a lot of people who would like one and if Hornby actually retool one then maybe people would go for it. Hornby took

the risk with the 4VEP, 5BEL, P2 and DoG, so why not an AC electric?

Jeremiah said:

No matter what we try we will never get an AC electric :'( It's really very sad.

Why won't we? Hornby already sells most of the electrics we just need a re-tool. I don't think there isn't a demand. May be that

the sells of their current electric that is low but this is simply because they are not up to date with the rest of the locos. At least this is the reason I am not getting a 90 or 91. I wouldn't have bought the old 67 either but after they re-tooled it I got

it and it is definitely a favourite now.

Hi Tracksy, that's exactly my point. On other forums this is exactly what I pointed out. All I heard from various heads of hobby companies was ''there is no demand'' ''we are not venturing into AC territory''. What you and I have in mind is something that

is a fact. It is true, who will want to buy something that looks wrong in many ways (class 90) which has a high RRP, even some bargains are too expensive. Lett's say if I pick up one for 10 quid. By the time I buy more kits and paint to do it up It would cost

50 quid so there is not really a great improvement. BUT if Hornby are wise and do re-tool atleast one model out of the four (86, 87, 90 and 91) then people might just go for it because of it's detail or how correct it is. See the Class 60 for example and as

you mentioned the 67. I myself didn't like the older version - I waited and now the ATW 67 is due so I went for it. There are not many who voice their opinions like so so all I can say is thank you for atleast having the same opinion as me.

• 1 month later...

With the difficulties of supply of new releases this year it is hard to get too worked up about any new models for 2014, because there is little guarantee we would get them before 2015. (Sorry I shouldn't be cynical).

However Hornby has been well

able to bounce back in the past, so let us hope they will do it again this time.

I said last year I did not anticipate much more that some new liveries on older models and a couple of re-tooled items, and Railroad introductions from the Lima tools.

I am pleased to say I got it wrong.

It msy be of course that I was just a year too soon and 2014 will be that year, but if not then what kind of thing ought we to anticipate.

A few speculations (not including re-livery)

GWR steam railmotor

SR

4Cor EMU

LMS Suburban carriages

LNER / NER G5 0-4-4T

A set of carriages for either the LNER Coronation or Silver Jubilee

NER Dynamometer Car

I am sure I have got it all wildly wrong, but who knows?

Archived