Fitting DCC in old (tightfitting?) 0-4-0 locos

Barry1946

Very new to forum (1st post), so I may be asking an old question!

There are lots of 0-4-0 and similar tank engines on "well known" auction websites at very good prices. As I need a shunter for my DCC layoutI am considering this route to obtain one.

Is

it difficult to squeeze the chip into say the new Hornby Caladonian tank engine or some of the GWR tank engines? Is space at a premium? I am confident on the cut the wires/soldering iron bit, it's space I am worried about.

Hi

This is the Hornby guide to fitting a decoder into an 0-4-0 loco which is typical of this range of locos. https://www.hornby.com/hornby-dcc/decoder-installation-guides/standard-0-4-0-decoder-installation-guide/

What you must be sure of before

starting any conversion is that the loco runs faultlessly on dc power rails. No stalling, failure to start of stuttering etc. As if any of these are present on dc the loco will become far worse on DCC!

0-4-0 locos are not the best at picking up rail

power (and data for DCC) due to their lack of wheels. You might like to consider using a small 'Stay Alive' decoder from another manufacturer to aid the running of a small wheeled loco especially over points.

Flashbang said:

Hi
This is the Hornby guide to fitting a decoder into an 0-4-0 loco which is typical of this range of locos. https://www.hornby.com/hornby-dcc/decoder-installation-guides/standard-0-4-0-decoder-installation-guide/

What

you must be sure of before starting any conversion is that the loco runs faultlessly on dc power rails. No stalling, failure to start of stuttering etc. As if any of these are present on dc the loco will become far worse on DCC!

0-4-0 locos are not

the best at picking up rail power (and data for DCC) due to their lack of wheels. You might like to consider using a small 'Stay Alive' decoder from another manufacturer to aid the running of a small wheeled loco especially over points.

Barry1946 said:

Thanks, thats what I hoped I would hear!

With experience you can progress to fitting them without cutting the decoder wires and keeping the plug in place! That way you won't invalidate the warranty. After all

it is only 4 wires to connect.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived