Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

I don't mind funnles on models, that you can' see down. I have never seen it being a problem, plus you don't really notice that when the locomotive is running.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

TBH, I always do - sort of 'standard' I like to see.

I generally drill out those which are simply 'stuck on'.

If I could, I would fit a nozzle or 2 beneath to resemble the blastpipe itself.

As far as the chimneys are concerned, I prefer a standardised format - all drilled through where able.

Al.

😎

Once I receive a locomotive, I always give it a 'once over'.

A lot of them are 'older gems', which will have generally dried of oil, and grease will have hardened / spread to the sides - not be where it should be.

I'll clean, oil and grease where appears necessary. check the little screws and bolts - 'nip up' if necessary.

At this stage, the 'additional' is done - body off.

In this case the check had already been completed, body replaced, and additional pipes - injectors, etc - so complex I didn't want to disturb again.

Not unknown but it would be highly unusual to have a heavier weight over non-driven wheels.

Obviously, as I had already performed the check 'once over' I already knew where the motor / additional electrics were.

I don't use a 12" masonry drill - penetration depth is preset and performed over multiple stages VERY CAREFULLY and slowly - it took perhaps 20-25'.

I start with a hand auger to centre, using a <1mm drill bit, then drill the hole with a slowest setting Dremel, then continue by hand.

Hope that helps!

Al.

The 87 has arrived!!

87035 R3580 Robert Burns.

'As New Used'.

All appears in perfect condition, with very slight wear on wheels corresponding to minimal use 'to try' as had been described.

Nice that the detailing has not been touched, so I can 'break in' in both directions, then figure out which was #1 end!

Pantograph at the front or back anyone?

/media/tinymce_upload/61fb5e47c7e9a7b0ee5b51a37a419c9a.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/85746a49040517e253ee6138cb523b21.jpg

Thanks,

Al.

It was received / purchased as 'used' and some packaging was not present.

All detailing was still sealed. Destructions included.

Previous owner had run a little and also fitted DCC - so that's another one 'ready for if/as/when' - blanking plug fitted.

Had a 'play' last night and it's a SUPERB runner - very smooth, transitioning smoothly through crawl to 'really quite fast' very smoothly and quietly, with excellent haulage capacity.

VERY impressed.

Al.

OK, I've finished ... for now.

One locomotive I was curious about was the Class 58 - just never got around to one ... until now!

Hornby's 'does a job' but is too simple - I wanted something twin bogie powered, and with more detail.

Having a Heljan Western, amongst others from them, I know they're virtually bulletproof, with an excellent chassis, even if the Co Co is really A1A A1A in format ... so I found an excellent, as new, used EWS Heljan 58.

It runs as anticipated / expected - absolutely brilliantly.

Super smooth and quiet - with a turn of speed if required, which it isn't, just POWER - which it has plenty.

Got to be the ugliest diesel around, and is more interesting for it - nice addition.

Al.

@atom3624

One more question; You mentioned you have ran your Heljan Class 58, so I gather that you have already received the locomotive in the post?

By the way, could you post any photos please? Thank you in advanced.  😀

Well the one one more question failed, didn’t it?!  😆  😉  😀

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

My 58 has already met Humbrol Olive Drab, Tank Grey, Matt Black, Matt Dark Brown, so not quite as originally received.

I'll post 'weathered' once I return home ...

Photos ex Ebay:

/media/tinymce_upload/eca6875aa8be8bb0428fd5e278b1e73e.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/82dcc177a1dd5720957bcbe15b5616a3.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/db1b900b318c3e5a57115b5b9475215e.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/a28a9c02c2682f4e9061273dc2137803.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/9e761a0735bfd3e49ba287c046326685.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/eb90895791e83af4c55ff635598995c2.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/39b4ecf4f85a2385823652ad84cdccca.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/6359605274996d620e70fc0ecfac6b49.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/722ee08a4c961477ec83805f1da8b75e.jpg

Photos of original Ebay listing posted.

Mine has spent a couple of hours - one each way - on the track and been through the rattle can weathering paint booth so no longer looks pristine - not many 58's are / were anyway.

Original photos are 'way too clean'!!

Will post latest photos once I get an opportunity.

Al.

Weathered 58 with some friends as well ...

/media/tinymce_upload/c36beb67691eb8cbcb370c6e7e9e7a96.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/df76d1e6d8c71284d2a2c22f67c01496.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/e33ea8ac5a0272a11b1f196c8180da59.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/4040a8de26cb60a2be30a505099f3f74.jpg

Al.

The Heljan 58 runs as well as the Heljan 52 - which is absolutely superbly!!

It's a little difficult to START at a crawl - presumably the flywheels are pretty big and impose quite a high inertia initially.

That aside, running is as good as ANY of the locomotives in the picture, which means really pretty good!!

Al.

4 Litres of IPA for degreasing and cleaning locos etc (well one is). The rest is for other "cleaning purposes" before the world cottons on to it being the main ingreedient of hand sanitizer!.

I am also awaiting a nice looking EM gauge toplight brake which will compleat a train I have of two Composites and a slip.

The three OO versions I have were won of ebay some years ago but I failed to win the brake so it has been a long wait to find this one. I just hope it arrives OK as I've already ordered replacement OO wheel sets and some and some 3D printed GWR Bogies from Stafford Road Model Works.