Removing the body’s of a Jinty and Pannier Tank

Bag

Apologies if this is not the right place in the Forum for this. My 4 year old son has got into trains and rekindled my interest. I’m attempting to repair the x04 motor a Triang/Hornby Jinty and Hornby Pannier Tank that were mine and are probably 50 and

40 years old respectively at a guess.

I can’t suss out how to get the bodies off. Anyone point this amateur in the right direction?

Depending on the age of the model the body is secured either by a small screw through the chimney (jinty), or by one in the body below the boiler on one side or the other (jinty and 57xx). The body should then lift away although, front first, there will

also be a couple of lugs at the back of the bunker.

Bag said:

Apologies if this is not the right place in the Forum for this. My 4 year old son has got into trains and rekindled my interest. I’m attempting to repair the x04 motor a Triang/Hornby

Jinty and Hornby Pannier Tank that were mine and are probably 50 and 40 years old respectively at a guess.

I can’t suss out how to get the bodies off. Anyone point this amateur in the right direction?

That method applies to models produced after about 1984 (SSSP motors). If the chassis is an X04 motor then the screws were at the front and the lugs at the back except for the diesel shunter and saddle tank.

walkingthedog said:

If

I remember correctly remove the screw at the back, I think it holds the coupling in place, lift the cab and the slide the body slightly forward. The front is attached by a couble of lugs that slot into holes just above the buffer beam.

I think I gave you a bit of duff gen. If it's an old model there isn't a screw but there is another lug at the back a quarter ish of the way up the bunker. You have to push the lug in with a small screwdriver or similar and then lift the cab.

Take a

look at the link below.

By the way this is exactly the place to ask this sort of advise.

Welcome to the Forum.

https://www.hornby.com/search/?t=FileLibrary|Service+Sheets&q=R351&tag=

On the old Hornby Triang pannier GWR 8751 (and probably the red L90) the body screw is definitely on the left hand side (looking to the front of the chimney just behind the front splasher. Sorry but I do not know where it is on the jinty as I never had

one that old.

Body screw S.1072 is located just behind the front splasher on the left handside and screws into the smoke unit casting. Of course if the jinty is an early one then usually a long screw S.1009 is located down the chimney.

The 57xx Pannier came in

being as part of the Tri-ang-Hornby range in 1972 as R.51S and had one of the superb synchrosmoke generators fitted, after 1973 the smoke generators were dropped to cut costs under the then new DCM ownership.

The jinties had a seuthe style smoke generation

from 1961 to the end of 1963, this was found to melt the chimney of the locos, so a replacement was sought and synchrosmoke generators were fitted from around 1st January 1964 until late 1973.

The rare london transport version of the 57xx pannier had

the same body screw.

The Tri-ang-Hornby 57xx pannier survives today as "Duck" in the Thomas range.

• 8 years later...

I have read through this post and I am still stumped.

I have a black 57XX running number 2747 - open cab, black body. There appears to be no body screw accessible through the funnel.

I have removed the front and rear couplings, and there is no movement. I don't want to lever the body to the point of destruction. Is it really a question of brute force?

You will find a horizontal chassis lug protruding through the rear of the loco body just above the buffer beam if I remember correctly. If you remove the rear coupling, you can gently lever the bottom of the body outwards with a screwdriver blade to release the lug. Pull that end of the chassis down and rearwards to release the two hook-type connectors at the front of the chassis again just above the bufferbeam. When reassembling, locate the front hooks in the body first and then push the rear of the chassis in until the lug relocates. Do not try to release the front hook connectors first as they will almost certainly break. Service sheet 139 downloadable from lendonsmodelshop.co.uk gives an exploded view of the chassis. Your loco is R158.