R8211 - Rolling Road

RDS

This may surprise you but toymaster in Halifax sells Hornby.Rolling road for just sixty and take ten per cent off with hornby discount card.I have checked all new prices;they sell a big percentage of various hornby stock cheaper than anywhere.Egypt 1908

Olympics just eighty five sterling.

DEAN104 said:

This may surprise you but toymaster in Halifax sells Hornby.Rolling road for just sixty and take ten per cent off with hornby discount card.I have checked all new prices;they sell a big percentage of various hornby stock cheaper

than anywhere.Egypt 1908 Olympics just eighty five sterling.

You appear to have developed a bit of a stutter Dean

• 2 years later...

I have just modified my 8211 ( bought for £47 by removing the track section completely and installing 4 more sets of rollers as Hornby are selling them at a£9.99 a pair. 

My his gives me a fully rollered rolling road for another 40 quid. No need for a length of track to support rollers.

The wiring is connected to an EC3 connector which in turn connects to my source, either Live steam, DCC, DC.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just modified my 8211 ( bought for £47 by removing the track section completely and installing 4 more sets of rollers as Hornby are selling them at £9.99 a pair. 

Now this gives me a fully 'rollered' rolling road for another 40 quid. No need for a length of track to support rollers.

The wiring is connected to a Mutiplex green connector set flush in the black plastic end which in turn connects to my source, either Live steam, DCC, DC.

• 3 years later...

Hornby originally made the Rolling Road for their Live Steam Locos which were powered through the tender so the rollers were not powered and the Rolling Road part # was R8203, they also supplied spare rollers for it, part # R8209.

They then brought out a revised version with powered rollers for DC & DCC use, part # R8211 and spare rollers, part # R8212.

To get power to the rollers Hornby added a powered rod down each channel which went through holes in the internal roller sliders. The roller sliders are also insulated from the extruded aluminium frame and this thin plastic insulating film can be seen on all the sliding surfaces.

Note - the original spare rollers will not fit the new rolling road as they did not have the hole in the inner slider for the power rod to slide in. The original packaging for both road and spare rollers was blue and said for "Live Steam" whereas the newer packaging is white with red & yellow bands top & bottom.

If you have the original R8203 rolling road, you could insulate the roller sliders, or buy new sliders, to prevent shorts, but if you need to power the rollers you would also have to feed power to them, possibly via flying leads ? Wherther that is worth doing would depend on the cost of the old road compared to that of a new one.

Dave.