DCC Location

Mike70

According to the website of a famous store in the North West, R8312 E-Link and Railmaster, will be released on Monday 3rd June.

I'm going to buy it as soon as it becomes available.

I have three locos which I intend to convert to DCC, these

are;

R2985 - Duchess Of Sutherland

R3095 - Commonwealth Of Australia

R3103 - Duchess Of Hamilton

Both the Commonwealth Of Australia and the Duchess Of Sutherland have the plug connection to the tender. But the Duchess of Hamilton has a

contact connection on the tender coupling.

I can't get my hands on the supplied instructions at the moment (they are stored away in the loft). But reading some of the online manuals from this site, I think the decoder socket for the Duchess of Hamilton

is located inside the loco body, while for the other two it is located inside the tender body?

Can anyone confirm if this is correct or not?

I've never installed a decoder before and I reckon it will be a lot easier if the sockets are located

inside the tender. Saves having to remove the speedo cable or any linkages (on the A4).

I read somewhere that removing the speedo cable can be fiddly and a special tool is required. Any tips?

Regards,

Mike.

• 2 weeks later...

[reply]Mike70 said:

According to the website of a famous store in the North West, R8312 E-Link and Railmaster, will be released on Monday 3rd June.

I'm going to buy it as soon as it becomes available.

I have three locos which I intend

to convert to DCC, these are;

R2985 - Duchess Of Sutherland

R3095 - Commonwealth Of Australia

R3103 - Duchess Of Hamilton

Both the Commonwealth Of Australia and the Duchess Of Sutherland have the plug connection to the tender. But the Duchess

of Hamilton has a contact connection on the tender coupling.

I can't get my hands on the supplied instructions at the moment (they are stored away in the loft). But reading some of the online manuals from this site, I think the decoder socket for the

Duchess of Hamilton is located inside the loco body, while for the other two it is located inside the tender body?

Can anyone confirm if this is correct or not?

I've never installed a decoder before and I reckon it will be a lot easier if the

sockets are located inside the tender. Saves having to remove the speedo cable or any linkages (on the A4).

I read somewhere that removing the speedo cable can be fiddly and a special tool is required. Any tips?

Regards,

Mike.

Hi Mike,

Fitting a decoder in a tender or a loco body can be just as fiddly as each other whether steam or diesel as there are often parts which connect body and chassis. I suggest that you have a good look around the loco to see what is connected to what before attempting

to disassemble. I am certainly not the worlds greatest modeler but have managed to chip a rebuilt merchant navy and an A3 both which have parts common to chassis and body. To make removing such things as speedo cables try to use an appropriate tool rather

than your finger nails or finger tips, such as a small pair of smooth jawed pliers or tweezers to gently coerce the parts to separate. Don't rush, take your time and if you find its just not happening put it down and have a cup of tea. Often coming back to

something a few minutes later helps resolve the issue.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Julian.

PS there are some decoder fitting guides on the RMweb forum.

I posted a link but the forum is touchy and thinks it may be offensive material. so here is what you need, do a search on the web for WERA 118112, amazon have them, it's a nut spinner 2.5mm. This will undo the nuts on the conn rod/wheels to allow you to

remove the speedo.

Well worth the money spent

Archived