Dcc hornby elite points programming

Azal

Hi all

I'm having a problem with programming my points. Having read the instructions for my elite controller and watching various you tube videos I'm still miserably failing.

Firstly, do I treat points the same as locos ie, when programming

I assume that I have both leads in the prog function on the back of the elite. Then what I do is run the other end into the a and b inlet of a point decoder box and try to programme it directly. I then follow the instructions in the book.

However, this

doesn't seem to work and the instruction manual is not clear as to where I should be putting the cables.

P.s. I'm a real novice in this dcc business so feel free to treat me like one in your replies.

P.p.s. it's a 160 sq foot lay out with 14

point box decodes so quite a few points to programme.

Thanks

Why do you think it hasn't worked? Is it because of a message displayed on the Elite when programming the decoder, or does the decoder then not respond to the addresses you have programmed? Could you tell us what values you are programming and the addresses

you expect?

Ray

St1ngr4y said:

Why do you think it hasn't worked? Is it because of a message displayed on the Elite when programming the decoder, or does the decoder then not respond to the addresses you have programmed? Could you tell us what values you

are programming and the addresses you expect?

Ray

No I don't get any message on the elite, in fact it responds as it says in the manual with the red flashing led, which, makes me think I've programmed it correctly. (Provided the leads

I've connected are in the right place, which I'm not sure about).

When I get to programme the address I have used 201, with the first block of four being coded 001. ( I assume then the other 3 are automatically assigned numbers 2-3.

When I then

attempt to actually activate the programmed point nothing happens.

Very frustrating!

Thanks for your interest, appreciated, I really am wet behind the ears on this.

Am I right to assume that I don't use a programming track ( unlike programming

locos)?

I would be using the Elite manual in conjunction with the leaflet and make sure I understand group addressing.

And yes, the decoder must be connected to the programming output as you have described.

I'm also assuming the Elite is working

OK programming locos? If you continue to have problems, I would be contacting HCC and/or taking the decoder and Elite back to your supplier. There have been recent reports of faulty decoders (again assuming you are using the R8427) and faulty Elite programming.

Guys

I'm using r8247 in conjunction with r8243 surface mounted point motors.

I haven't used the leaflet that came with r8247, I've simply gone with the main elite instruction manual.

I haven't had a problem with programming locos,just

these points.

As I said earlier, after going through the programming steps it does appear that the programme works because the led lights up red as normal. But, when attempting to test there is no movement of points.

On a slightly different topic,

I have programmed my locos with accel/ decel, however, my shutters don't appear to like this and don't get moving.

I wondered weather given the size of the shutter chassis I should have left it alone, the other larger locos don't mind it but none of

my shutters seem to (7).

Thanks all

To program a R8247 using the Elite, you need to change its CV 513 to the group address for the decoder. Group address 1 will allocate point addresses 1, 2, 3, 4 to a decoder, group address 2 will allocate point addresses 5, 6, 7, 8 etc. The R8247 is capable

of taking a group address from 1 to 511. HOWEVER the Elite is only capable of handling a group address in range 1 to 63 so you can have points numbered 1 to 252.

"When I get to programme the address I have used 201, with the first block of four being

coded 001. ( I assume then the other 3 are automatically assigned numbers 2-3."

I don't understand where your figure 201 comes in - can you explain that one please?

Ray

Hi Guys,

I have got 3 of the R8247 from a well known auction site and tried to program them like I did with the other 2 I have which are fine, I seem to be having the same problem Azal the red light is flashing 7 times instructions says it should flash

5 times, instruction say 8 times or more and it as not programmed. but when I try changed the point nothing happens. Going to have another go tomorrow with them see if I can find out what is going wrong.

Peter

St1ngr4y said:

To program a R8247 using the Elite, you need to change its CV 513 to the group address for the decoder. Group address 1 will allocate point addresses 1, 2, 3, 4 to a decoder, group address 2 will allocate point addresses 5,

6, 7, 8 etc. The R8247 is capable of taking a group address from 1 to 511. HOWEVER the Elite is only capable of handling a group address in range 1 to 63 so you can have points numbered 1 to 252.

"When I get to programme the address I have used 201,

with the first block of four being coded 001. ( I assume then the other 3 are automatically assigned numbers 2-3."

I don't understand where your figure 201 comes in - can you explain that one please?
Ray

St1ngr4y said:

To program a R8247 using the Elite, you need to change its CV 513 to the group address for the decoder. Group address 1 will allocate point addresses 1, 2, 3, 4 to a decoder, group address 2 will allocate point addresses 5,

6, 7, 8 etc. The R8247 is capable of taking a group address from 1 to 511. HOWEVER the Elite is only capable of handling a group address in range 1 to 63 so you can have points numbered 1 to 252.

"When I get to programme the address I have used 201,

with the first block of four being coded 001. ( I assume then the other 3 are automatically assigned numbers 2-3."

Ray

After you have programmed R8247 by changing CV 513 to the group address, try reading CV 513 to see whether you get the same value back. If you see XXX displayed on the Elite then either the programming hasn't worked or the read back hasn't. Either way

check your connection from the programming outlet on the Elite to the A/B terminals on the decoder.

Ray

And remember as I said a few posts back, if your connection is good, and I assume it is as you've said you've connected the decoder directly to the programming output, you may have a faulty decoder and/or Elite. So taking them back to the shop or Hornby

for checking would be a good idea.

Azal said:

St1ngr4y said:

To program a R8247 using the Elite, you need to change its CV 513 to the group address for the decoder. Group address 1 will allocate point addresses 1, 2, 3, 4 to a decoder, group address 2 will allocate

point addresses 5, 6, 7, 8 etc. The R8247 is capable of taking a group address from 1 to 511. HOWEVER the Elite is only capable of handling a group address in range 1 to 63 so you can have points numbered 1 to 252.

"When I get to programme the address

I have used 201, with the first block of four being coded 001. ( I assume then the other 3 are automatically assigned numbers 2-3."

Ray

Hi ray

I

had used 201 as the number for the first collection of 4 points but reading your post it seems that this may be where I've gone wrong.

You say that the elite recognises group addresses from 1-63 giving a total points range of 252 which I understand

now, so I'm assuming assigning my first group to 201 is where I've gone wrong.

What I don't understand is your point regarding cv513?, the handbook does ent mention this at all. What do this mean exactly and how do I go about doing this (idiot steps

is fine with me)

Thanks for your advice all by the way

Azal said:

Hi ray

I had used 201 as the number for the first collection of 4 points but reading your post it seems that this may be where I've gone wrong.

You say that the elite recognises group addresses from 1-63 giving a

total points range of 252 which I understand now, so I'm assuming assigning my first group to 201 is where I've gone wrong.

What I don't understand is your point regarding cv513?, the handbook does ent mention this at all. What do this mean exactly

and how do I go about doing this (idiot steps is fine with me)

Thanks for your advice all by the way

Hi Azal,
Was there not a leaflet with the decoder when you bought it. This gives a step by step guide to programming the decoder under

the heading "Using the R8247 Point & Accessory Decoder with the Hornby Elite Unit". If you don't have that I could scan it and email a copy to you if you like.
Ray

Hello again Azal,

I've extracted the main details from the leaflet for you:-

Simple Addressing

1. Press Menu and rotate control 1 until 'Acc' is displayed.

2. Press Control 1 to confirm. Screen shows 'Direct'. Press Control 1 to confirm.

Screen displays 'Address'. Rotate Control 1 until 'CV' is displayed. Press Control 1 to confirm.

4. Screen displays 'CV Write'. Press Control 1 to confirm.

5. Screen Displays 'CV 0001 W'. Type 513 and Press Control 1 to confirm.

6. Screen displays

'CV 0513 W 000'.

7. Either rotate control 1 until the Address Group you want to use is displayed or just type the number of the Address Group.

8. Press Control 1 to confirm. The red LED will flash 5 times to denote acceptance. (If the LED flashes 8 times

or more, the Address Group has not been accepted and you will need to attempt the addressing sequence again).

9. Screen displays 'Address'. The decoder is now programmed.

11. Once the decoder is programmed you may connect it to the main track.

I

hope this helps to get you going.

Ray

St1ngr4y said:

Hello again Azal,
I've extracted the main details from the leaflet for you:-

Simple Addressing
1. Press Menu and rotate control 1 until 'Acc' is displayed.
2. Press Control 1 to confirm. Screen shows 'Direct'.

Press Control 1 to confirm.
3. Screen displays 'Address'. Rotate Control 1 until 'CV' is displayed. Press Control 1 to confirm.
4. Screen displays 'CV Write'. Press Control 1 to confirm.
5. Screen Displays 'CV 0001 W'. Type 513 and Press Control 1

to confirm.
6. Screen displays 'CV 0513 W 000'.
7. Either rotate control 1 until the Address Group you want to use is displayed or just type the number of the Address Group.
8. Press Control 1 to confirm. The red LED will flash 5 times to denote acceptance.

(If the LED flashes 8 times or more, the Address Group has not been accepted and you will need to attempt the addressing sequence again).
9. Screen displays 'Address'. The decoder is now programmed.

11. Once the decoder is programmed you may connect

it to the main track.

I hope this helps to get you going.
Ray

Sir you are a gentleman, I don't have that information anywhere so may be the main problem.

I won't get time until weekend now but will have a go and report back.

Cheers

RAFHAAA96th said:

CV513, etc - Its all clear as day in the manual from here - https://www.hornby.com/downloads/digital-instruction-manuals/

No wonder I've been struggling, I've been working blind!

I had no manual for

this so I thank you, what must have happened is that due to the scale of my lay out and my general dcc naivety, I hired a local loco shop to help set things up.

However, after setting up the points and the decodes they then proceeded to throw all the

boxes away with the leaflets I assume.

I've just been working off the elite controller hand book, no wonder I didn't know what ray was saying earlier in the thread.

Hopefully this should sort me out

Cheers

I would have thought 6 flashes meant it worked? But easy to find out - try it or follow the instructions in the downloaded latest Elite manual and read the address back. The hard copy manual you have will not be for v1.41 firmware.

Archived