Digital on 009.

Tigg

Hi all,

I was at a model railway exhibition on Saturday and was watching an N Gauge Digital layout. And since 009 is run on N Guage track (and I'm still in the design phase of building a 009 layout) I was wondering, can you use DCC on 009 or can

you only use Analouge?

Thanks,

poliss said:

You can use DCC on nearly all model railway scales and gauges, including 009. The exception being T-Gauge.
Thanks.
One more question though, since 009 locos and rolling stock come as kits, if I were to run it on DCC,

would I be able to buy the kits with chips? I mean eletrical chips, not edible!)

poliss said:

The chassis used are usually from RTR models. If the chassis is DCC ready then you would just plug in a decoder.

The big problem you may find is that most 009 kits were originally produced pre DCC so not only might

there not be enough room inside the body for the chip, you may have trouble getting a DCC ready chassis (or even a new chassis as many of the n gauge donor locos may no longer be made).

As it's been a while since I've bought any HOe stock (which can

run with 009) I'm not sure if the "European" manufacturers have updated their production. If they have you may even be able to get German outline locos DCC fitted as well as ready! - But they are not cheap prices are comparable with the top range Hornby but

the detail is something to be marvelled at!

Looking at my P£co GVT Trams (if still available) and their Gr@F@r 94XX chasis a chip would be a tight squeeze unless using a special small one. Having said that I do know of some 009 layouts (usually of something

colonial)which do run DCC.

The problem with asking about anything to do with size concerned with 009 is that there is no standard loading gauge

Funny it posted before I finished!

so you can get very tiny locos (as used in sand and gravel workings or slate quarries to much larger colonial types - I'll try to get two examples and post photos sometime tonight.

Steve

Archived