Minor update available for RM 1.21?

I am running RM 1.21. When I started it this morning a popup said there was a free update available. I said yes but then it wanted to start to install 1.21 again. Is there really an update or is this just an error detecting the current version? If it is

an update what are the changes? The log says:
28/07/11 14:40:46 HORNBY RAILMASTER STARTED 1.21
28/07/11 14:40:48 Checking for program updates (primary server)
28/07/11 14:40:48 Checking for updates available in English
28/07/11 14:40:49

Checking available version: 1.21. against current: 1.21
28/07/11 14:40:49 Minor free update available
28/07/11 14:40:51 Message displayed: A FREE update is avaliable for this program, which contains the following:- (182) - Response=1

Thanks for

any insight.

Hello idlemarvel.
Try reading this.

There is a new download for RailMaster – V1.21. Please follow these instructions before seeking further advice.

Please type http://www.powerpos.com/rail-master/railmaster.exe into your web browser address

bar and hit return. The browser will ask you to open or save the file (please note this does not work properly in Google Chrome). Choose "save as" and save it into your C:\Program Files\RailMaster folder. The instructions will ask you if you want to overwrite

the existing file. Answer “Yes”.

On Windows 7/Vista, it does not make it clear where the download goes and a dialogue bar/line will appear at the bottom of the browser window. You must not click “save”, but instead select the down arrow to the right

of it and choose "save as" then navigate to the C:\Program Files\RailMaster folder. Or download the new file to your desktop then navigate to the C:\Program Files\RailMaster folder and then drag and drop or copy and paste the new file into the RailMaster window.

In some cases, antivirus or Internet security software on your PC may blo ck RailMaster from activating, irrespective of the Windows firewall settin g and Administrator rights. You should therefore temporarily disable your antivirus sofware completely

(firewall, antivirus scanning, malware scann ing, where applicable) and then Activate RailMaster.

Please ensure you are not already running RailMaster or the program will not work. The instructions will request "Access Denied or Could not Download".

Again, on Windows 7/Vista, it is hard to find this as Microsoft have not made it obvious.

When you know you have saved the file successfully, just run RailMaster again and it should say version 1.21 in the "About" screen (button five in the menu) and

also on a little yellow box over the logo at the bottom of the main screen under "master".

You should also ensure your railmaster.exe file (the one you just downloaded) has full administrator access to your PC because some Windows versions will automatically

mark it as unsafe just because it was downloaded from the Internet. To do this, right click on the railmaster.exe file in your C:\Program Files\RailMaster folder and set "always run as administrator" and ensure that in the security tab you give "full" permissions

everywhere.

You must make sure that if you have already installed RailMaster and have uninstalled, that the RailMaster folder is also deleted. As some Windows installations also seem to 'remember' when a piece of software was originally not installed

as "administrator". So, just uninstalling and reinstalling may not be enough. The C:\Program Files\RailMaster folder should also be deleted, particularly on Windows 64-bit systems.

If RailMaster is not installed as "administrator" this will cause issues

with the Activation.

You should also go into your Windows firewall and ensure RailMaster is listed as an allowed program for both private and public networks (cross in each box). Now you should be able to activate and deactivate the software.

If

this does not work uninstall RailMaster from the Control Panel - All Control Panel Items - Programs and Features - Add and Remove Programs then remove Hornby RailMaster. Also delete the folder C:\Program Files\RailMaster from your system and then download

the latest setup file from http://www.powerpos.com/rail-master/rm_setup130.exe and save it to a temporary folder on your hard drive. When the file is downloaded right click on it and choose "Run as administrator" and install as normal. Then try reactivating again.

If neither of the above work please email your activation key and contact information, with a statement of your issue(s) to the developers at support@rail-master.com and they will contact you to resolve the problems.

If you still have difficulties,

please use the Help Request in the program; this can be found under the 'About' button, when this dialogue window pops up, please navigate to the bottom left hand corner and there you will find the Hornby logo, next to this is a blue envelope (this will put

you in touch with the developers), please click on this and follow the on-screen instructions.

Post a new reply

Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough

Thanks rigrun, but I already have 1.21 installed, running and activated. That was not my question. When I started RM 1.21 after running it for a few days, it invited me to download an upgrade. See the logs in my original post. Is there actually a minor

update to 1.21 and if so what does it do?
Thanks,

If there has been an update, then the developers

should change the release number to 1.22, otherwise now there are two versions of 1.21 around which is going to make their lives difficult and ours. They should also produce release notes to say what has changed. This is software development 101.

Archived