Temporarily swap Elite for Analogue?

gilbo2

I use the Elite Loco address 0000 for controlling non DCC trains, but I find the motors get quite warm/hot.

Could I temporarily swap the Elite for an old Analogue controller for train testing purposes without damaging the R8247 Accessory Decoders

which would then be fed off my Bus with 0-12VDC?

I don’t want to damage the accessory decoders, realising that they will not work under this temporary setup!

Best not to run analogue locos on the Elite using the address 00 for more than a very short while anyway. You say the motors warm up, and you can in fact damage them that way. I only use that setting to briefly test any non-DCC locos I'm getting rid of,

just to make sure they do actually run.

With regard to swapping to a DC controller to run these locos, there could, of course, be problems with isolated sections of track compared to using your Elite. I don't know for sure what the effect could be on

your accessory decoders but I personally would not risk trying it. Perhaps someone with more electrical knowledge than mine could elaborate on that aspect of your query.

Agree with Graskie, it is possible to burn out your armature windings running DC locos on DCC. In fact, it is recommended you turn DC mode off as it can also stop loco full speed runaways where they may inadvertently interpret a DCC signal as DC with full

volts.

Also not sure about damage to accessory decoders on DC. I have a separate small loop to test DC locos.

• 1 month later...

Archived