Hornby E-Link - Failed Hand Shake - Windows 7

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have not received any Help Requests in the last hour. They should be received a few seconds after sending. Are you sure your Internet security software is not blocking RailMaster?

Ensure that RailMaster has been added as an exception to both

your antivirus and firewall software and also ensure RailMaster has admin rights to your system by right clicking on the icon you use to run the program, selecting "Properties" for the pop-up menu, clicking on the Compatibility tab and ensuring the box "Run

as administrator" is checked.

Sending a Help Request is different from performing an automatic update. The former is more secure for obvious reaons.

We have never heard of an Internet security package that allows no changes, including adding programs as an exception. If this

is the case, you should remove your Internet security software and install a proper one. The may be the root cause of the problems you have been having.

That aside you are getting side tracked! The issue at hand is the on-line submission of a help request which I have just sent again and have again got the "successful" message. Surely if it were to be blocked I would be informed but the software. R-

We are not being ridiculous. We have tested McAfee and it does allow exceptions to be added, albeit in a less than friendly manner. If your one does not then there is clearly something wrong with it, unless you are mistaken.

Some antivirus software

can 'capture' communications from software and lead you to believe that it was successful.

From our research McAfeee is one of the most aggressive internet security packages and we have found that it does not invite you to add a program as an exception,

merely blocking it by default. We have also found that McAfeee makes it difficult to add exceptions, not making it terribly clear. This is why we are not being ridiculous, merely trying to help you.

In any event we have not received a Help Request from

you.

Not quite the same as saying it is not a "proper" piece of software is it? I seem to be unable to turn off the firewall or amend the McAfee settings and the banner at the top of the page says "These settings are being managed by vendor application McAfee

Personal Firewall"! It does say that all outward connections are allowed by default which suggests that it is fine for this purpose. I don't expect you to fix McAfee for me but I am stuck. R-

We are unable to help you with your McAfee problems and until you can be certain that McAfee is not blocking RailMaster then we would suggest you do some research on the Internet to find out whether other users have been experiencing the same problems

with their McAfee installations and then revert to us when you are ready.

Well, something very strange is going on. We have received no help Requests from you and no emails.

We have tested the Help Request system and it is working fine, as is our email system. Are you sure you sent your email to support@rail-master.com?

The hyphen is important as there is a company with a similar email address (without the hyphen) abroad and they do not respond to emails sent erroneously to them.

If you did send your email to the correct address then it is possible that your ISP is

doing something to stop emails and possibly Help Requests too.

We have to say that we have never seen this scenario before.

HornbyRailMasterSupport said:

Well, something very strange is going on. We have received no help Requests from you and no emails.

We have tested the Help Request system and it is working fine, as is our email system. Are you sure you

sent your email to support@rail-master.com? The hyphen is important as there is a company with a similar email address (without the hyphen) abroad and they do not respond to emails sent erroneously to them.

If you did send your email to the correct

address then it is possible that your ISP is doing something to stop emails and possibly Help Requests too.

We have to say that we have never seen this scenario before.

Oops - missed the hyphen! Re-done.

HornbyRailMasterSupport said:

Are you sure you sent your email to support@rail-master.com?

Can I just check that the email address customercare@hornby.com is still valid? That is the address that the railmaster software

help button points to.

Or should I use support@rail-master.com in future?

Thanks

There are three ways to contact support for RailMaster.

1. For queries relating to installing the Elite or eLink driver, or basic questions about the operation of RailMaster contact Hornby Customer Care at customercare@hornby.com or telephone 01843

233 525. You are strongly advised to read the RailMaster PDF guide completely first. This does not take long and will help you enormously.

2. For queries relating to activating or technical issues which are NOT detailed in the RailMaster PDF guide,

RailMaster HandHeld PDF guide and Elite/Elink Drivers installation PDF guide, all of which are installed with RailMaster on your PC, then use the Help Request system built into RailMaster itself. This is a very useful and secure communications system which

also sends us details of your RailMaster setup, Windows setup, last track plan and last program you were working on. To use this feature you must ensure that RailMaster is not being blocked by your Internet security software.

3. Emailing the RailMaster

Support team directly at support@rail-master.com (please remember to put in the hyphen) is for second line support, i.e. if things start getting complicated or if your PC has crashed and you need to reinstall Windows and/or RailMaster or TrackMaster, which

is not often. There is a company abroad using a similar email address (without hyphen) and they do not respond to tell you that your email was sent to the wrong address so please double-check.

RailMaster support responds to every single email and Help

Request within a timely manner, normally within the hour so if you haven't received a response after a day then please try emailing again. Remember, there are anti-spam filters and all sorts that can block emails from being sent and being received so please

do not assume that we have not bothered to respond to you.

Just to complete my input to this thread - at least for the time being - my Elite arrived yesterday and so far is performing perfectly. There are clearly many operating differences between this the Select and the E-link which was entirely as anticipated.

I can only assume that there is something in the way my laptop is configured (new Dell Inspiron running W8) that E-link did not like. For instance I am a little mystified as to the communication between RM on the laptop and the Elite. Loco command can be made

for the same loco from either, the only difference is that changes to the Elite will adjust the laptop screen, but no changes on the laptop get picked up by the Elite. It doesn't seem to matter very much as I have worked out how to control the loco's - so

that is good. Now I have to work out why the sound functions will not get through to the loco from the laptop - I seem to have to do all that from the Elite. I guess I will figure it out over time, if not I'll be back. Do need to thank the 2nd tier support

guys for their patience - sorry for being so crusty!! R-

Archived