One set of Points not operating in a program

Hi,

I have railmaster and an elink. The problem I'm having is that one set of points will not operate in a program. The points operate fine when I "click" with the mouse but when they are put in command line of a program they do not operate. The line

runs no the status bar but nothing physically happens. They were working fine in the program but have stopped working. As I say they work fine with the mouse, so all the addressing etc is fine, I have left 5 seconds in between this command and the commands

at either side of it. The points operate fine when recording a program, Its just they do not when I run the program. Any ideas? I have not change any settings on my computer or added removed any hardware or software. All the other points operate ok in the

program.

Thanks

So Mal, when you say it doesn't work, does it seem as if it is trying to work but fails, or completely dead with no sound or any movement whatsoever?

Have you tried putting the instruction in the program twice to see if that makes a difference?

And

it's good to hear from an new eLink user who seems to have been able to get set up and running, albeit with this curious problem, unlike some others here. But then the forum only hears from those who have problems usually.

If you can be bothered, can

you tell us how it went out of the box please. For a start, what Windows version are you using, then, any trouble installing the eLink driver and finding its com port, any trouble installing the program as administrator, any problem with the auto update of

the program and eLink firmware on first running, and finally, any subsequent handshake problems?

Fishmanoz said:

So Mal, when you say it doesn't work, does it seem as if it is trying to work but fails, or completely dead with no sound or any movement whatsoever?

Have you tried putting the instruction in the program twice to see

if that makes a difference?

And it's good to hear from an new eLink user who seems to have been able to get set up and running, albeit with this curious problem, unlike some others here. But then the forum only hears from those who have problems usually.

If you can be bothered, can you tell us how it went out of the box please. For a start, what Windows version are you using, then, any trouble installing the eLink driver and finding its com port, any trouble installing the program as administrator,

any problem with the auto update of the program and eLink firmware on first running, and finally, any subsequent handshake problems?

Thanks for answering, it doesn't even try, no sound at all and yes I've tried putting the instruction twice with 2, 3and 5 second gaps, as I said it did work in the program and works fine when I use the mouse.

I have had the e link for about a month

now, I have quite a large layout about 20ft x 15ft in the loft. It's mainly three loops with inter connections on two levels with two stations a turntable and 24 sets of points. 12 of which are controlled by the e-link via DCC Concepts and Lenz accessory decodes.

I have 25 locos, a combination of sound and non-sound with a variety of hornby, Bachman and trainserve decodes. I have only ran four locos on the e-link at the moment.

Well that's a bit about my system. I am using a to shiva satellite laptop about 8 years

old clock speed 1.3 and 2gb of ram, with windows XP, operating system. On vergin broadband with their security software / firewall.

I have tried to have no other program's running while running railmaster. So out of the box. Installed as per the instructions

and no problems, software installed ok, registered fine conned etched e-link ok. Checked com port via system settings on XP and put this into railmaster. All worked fine. Have updated ok and on version1 1.52 all done automaticly. I have had a lot of handshake

notifications and lots of other niggles. Not finding controller etc, usually due to XP putting e-link on a different com port, as its virtual, there must be way to stop this. Handshake I put down to , as most of the problems seem to be, the speed XP reacts

to the commands (slowly sometimes) as its doing other things, it is an operating system for the pc not just railmaster.

Generally a good product but a few teething problems.

Deltic_Malc said:

Thanks for answering, it doesn't even try, no sound at all and yes I've tried putting the instruction twice with 2, 3and 5 second gaps, as I said it did work in the program and works fine when I use the mouse.

I have

had the e link for about a month now, I have quite a large layout about 20ft x 15ft in the loft. It's mainly three loops with inter connections on two levels with two stations a turntable and 24 sets of points. 12 of which are controlled by the e-link via

DCC Concepts and Lenz accessory decodes. I have 25 locos, a combination of sound and non-sound with a variety of hornby, Bachman and trainserve decodes. I have only ran four locos on the e-link at the moment.
Well that's a bit about my system. I am using

a to shiva satellite laptop about 8 years old clock speed 1.3 and 2gb of ram, with windows XP, operating system. On vergin broadband with their security software / firewall.
I have tried to have no other program's running while running railmaster. So out

of the box. Installed as per the instructions and no problems, software installed ok, registered fine conned etched e-link ok. Checked com port via system settings on XP and put this into railmaster. All worked fine. Have updated ok and on version1 1.52 all

done automaticly. I have had a lot of handshake notifications and lots of other niggles. Not finding controller etc, usually due to XP putting e-link on a different com port, as its virtual, there must be way to stop this. Handshake I put down to , as most

of the problems seem to be, the speed XP reacts to the commands (slowly sometimes) as its doing other things, it is an operating system for the pc not just railmaster.
Generally a good product but a few teething problems.

In relation to e-link I am running this on a W8 laptop, which I purchased for this purpose (Dell Inspiron 15 - a bit extravagant but they had an offer on!) as it had touch screen. The only other program on there is SCARM and I have my loco (12) cleaning/running

schedule which is a small Excel document. I have a much smaller layout - 6.5ft x 4ft which consists of two running loops 12 points and a double slip. My experience of e-link "out of the box" was the same as his and I have the same issues as Deltic which personally

I don't think is horrendous given the newness of the product. I also occasionally get a blank screen on start-up leaving only the "connecting to e-link" dialogue. It lasts only a few seconds and does not seem to effect anything. I don't understand the finer

elements of how PC's (or e-link for that matter) work, but I am very grateful for the input of those who do. I just want to "play trains" and the e-link is brilliant for folk like me. And of course, you cant beat the price! At risk of sounding sycophantic

I have to say (as many others here have) that the support Hornby give if you need to contact them is first class. Always timely, patient and they keep it simple. Hope that helps anyone trying to make a choice. R-

Deltic_Malc said:

Hi,
I have railmaster and an elink. The problem I'm having is that one set of points will not operate in a program. The points operate fine when I "click" with the mouse but when they are put in command line of a program

they do not operate. The line runs no the status bar but nothing physically happens. They were working fine in the program but have stopped working. As I say they work fine with the mouse, so all the addressing etc is fine, I have left 5 seconds in between

this command and the commands at either side of it. The points operate fine when recording a program, Its just they do not when I run the program. Any ideas? I have not change any settings on my computer or added removed any hardware or software. All the other

points operate ok in the program.
Thanks

Hi
What is the address of the points decoder port? Have you tried running the program in the program editing window? You can flag only that line for execution, rather than run the whole program.
Ray

St1ngr4y said:

Deltic_Malc said:

Hi,
I have railmaster and an elink. The problem I'm having is that one set of points will not operate in a program. The points operate fine when I "click" with the mouse but when they are put in

command line of a program they do not operate. The line runs no the status bar but nothing physically happens. They were working fine in the program but have stopped working. As I say they work fine with the mouse, so all the addressing etc is fine, I have

left 5 seconds in between this command and the commands at either side of it. The points operate fine when recording a program, Its just they do not when I run the program. Any ideas? I have not change any settings on my computer or added removed any hardware

or software. All the other points operate ok in the program.
Thanks
Hi
What is the address of the points decoder port? Have you tried running the program in the program editing window? You can flag only that line for execution, rather than run the

whole program.
Ray

The address of the decoder is 6, tried what you suggest and also in a program on its own but still will not operate.

Deltic_Malc said:

St1ngr4y said:

Deltic_Malc said:

Hi,
I have railmaster and an elink. The problem I'm having is that one set of points will not operate in a program. The points operate fine when I "click" with the mouse

but when they are put in command line of a program they do not operate. The line runs no the status bar but nothing physically happens. They were working fine in the program but have stopped working. As I say they work fine with the mouse, so all the addressing

etc is fine, I have left 5 seconds in between this command and the commands at either side of it. The points operate fine when recording a program, Its just they do not when I run the program. Any ideas? I have not change any settings on my computer or added

removed any hardware or software. All the other points operate ok in the program.
Thanks
Hi
What is the address of the points decoder port? Have you tried running the program in the program editing window? You can flag only that line for execution,

rather than run the whole program.
Ray
The address of the decoder is 6, tried what you suggest and also in a program on its own but still will not operate.

The only thing I can suggest is to go into the track layout editor and delete both

the point and its green/red buttons. Then re-insert the point and its buttons, and re-configure its address etc. Then save the layout, and re-edit your program. Go to the offending line and use the drop-down list to set it to address 6 (even if it is already

showing this address). If this doesn't work, then I, too, am stumped.
Ray

Archived