R8247 Acc Decoder Stopped Working

Pete172

Hi,

Hope someone can help..

One of my R8247 decoders has stopped working for no apparent reason. I had four of these mounted under my layout and all were working fine. I have since added a fifth decoder tonight, programmed it into Railmaster and

started up the layout. Decoders 1,2,4& 5 work, but number 3 decoder does not work now (checked ports 1,2,3,4 and they don't change any points)whereas it has been working fine since it was installed about 8 weeks ago.

I have checked the wiring and nothing

has changed, no wires disconnected or shorting.

Can the decoder have lost it's address or something similar ?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated...

Thanks,

I've had similar problems with R8247 decoders. One in particular would lose its address and when examined via the Elite's programming port, the decoder address had been zeroised, giving port addresses of -3, -2, -1 and 0 ! However, I was able to reset

the address to what it should have been, and it works ok again. Trouble with R8247's is that it is awkward to reset their address if they are mounted at the opposite end of the layout to the Elite or a programming track. I use a long cable which can reach

any of my remote decoders from the Elite.

Ray

St1ngr4y said:

I've had similar problems with R8247 decoders. One in particular would lose its address and when examined via the Elite's programming port, the decoder address had been zeroised, giving port addresses of -3, -2, -1 and 0 !

However, I was able to reset the address to what it should have been, and it works ok again. Trouble with R8247's is that it is awkward to reset their address if they are mounted at the opposite end of the layout to the Elite or a programming track. I use

a long cable which can reach any of my remote decoders from the Elite.
Ray

Well that's interesting !
So, I fired up my Elite & Railmaster tonight and read the decoder settings which turn out to be same as yours -3,-2,-1,0, and it had "lights

on" against one of the ports, though I never set it for this.
I have tried writing the correct settings and reading them back(to check them) several times tonight, but I can't get the decoder to accept the correct settings. I dropped Hornby Cust Care a

email today, so hopefully they can suggest something to fix this, though I suspect the decoder is done..

P.

Writing a value of 8 to CV 8 resets most loco decoders, but I've never tried that with a R8247. I was told that address corruption like this can be caused when a short circuit on the layout causes a spike, and that a power bus suppressor / terminator would

overcome this. I obtained a pair of these from DCC Concepts. I have one installed on my bus, and since its installation - touch wood - I haven't had a R8247 lose its address.

Ray

Fishmanoz said:

Or just rewrite the address you want to it.

Hi folks,
I tried to re-write in the correct port numbers several times, but when I read them back the unit was not storing the port numbers correctly. So in the end,

after many hours, I took the unit back to my model shop and they exchanged it. The new unit is now working perfectly.
Makes me wonder what could have caused the memory loss in the first place, as there were/are no shorts on the layout.
I have read somewhere

that DCC Bus end terminating filters can help reduce "spikes" in the DCC signal, so I have now bought these and will fit them tomorrow before I resume building/testing my layout.
Thanks for your help.
P.

Fishmanoz said:

Bus filters certainly should help but there has also been many reports of faulty decoders being replaced too.

Hi,
Bus filters fitted tonight, tested loco running and points with my Elite, all seems well !
Just

hope it remains like that ....

P.

Archived