Successes with RM

A big thumbs up to Hornby Railmaster and Windows 8.

I have just completed setting up my layout on RM including points and tongue in cheek even allocated the decoder port numbers I had set up on the layout with my Select unit and then one by one

put each of my locos on the main layout and entered them on to the layout.

Bingo. All the motorised points respond at a touch of the point on my laptop screen and each of the locos do what I ask of them subject to the limitations preset for speed etc.

Only snag is that I have set some of the points left instead of right etc so on the screen they don't match what is on the layout. Now have to find how to change order without having to put whole layout back on system.

But again well done Hornby (even

if you upset me the other day by sending a posting to the moderator for vetting for goodness knows what)

Thanks DaveAus but I did set the points up at planning step but clearly selected the wrong parameter in the dialogue box that pops up when you select the points for programming. It's not a big worry at the moment but annoying as I can't see how to get

into my track layout on screen to edit the offending points. If you select the track planning icon all you seem to get is a new track plan setup which I don't want. The manual doesn't give any guidance on how to do a simple edit so I will have to wait until

I am back in the loft to look at it again. If push comes to shove I'll just have to set it all up again on new layout and overwrite the existing layout. Hope I don't have to go down that route though. If you get answer before I do then appreciate your looking

- GarH (Dave by another name incidentally)

Dave, when you set up your plan you would have saved it as something - when it comes up for the new plan scroll down the list of plans at the bottom and find yours which you can edit.

If you dont know the plan name (can't remember if it's displayed)

the setup tool icon has the name of the plan it loads.

Dave

Brilliant - sorted as suggested but had a bit of a shock turning on everything initially when software announced:

a) it couldn't do upgrade

b) couldn't find eLink unit

c) etc etc

but solved by switching all off again and rebooting and

worked as before. Guess judging from others on the forumns that it ain't always going to be smooth running just like operating a railway in real life?

At least we should take some comfort from the fact that in real life any glitches can have life threatening consequences whereas on a model layout it just gets the blood pressure up when locos derail and things don't always go to plan. Hope grandson is

chuffed (excuse pun) when he is round during the week after school and asks to go up in the loft.

Having posed the question some17 days ago it has been both interesting AND helpful to read the experiences of users of RM. Although because of economics reasons , I have reverted to my installed system, I think Hornby have shown that they are both pioneers

AND leaders in the hobby of model railways. I am sure they will fine-tune RM to where it will contain links compatible to what I believe is termed 'legacy' equipment I.e. for example point decoders of other manufacture which have been installed for several

years. If they do, then they will have a huge potential market. I should mention, like myself here in Canada (mains voltage 110v 50hz)a replacement 4amp power pack-Scalextric- of the correct output and input, is available.

it has been most enlightening

reading the experiences of various bods.

GarH said:

A big thumbs up to Hornby Railmaster and Windows 8.

I have just completed setting up my layout on RM including points and tongue in cheek even allocated the decoder port numbers I had set up on the layout with my Select

unit and then one by one put each of my locos on the main layout and entered them on to the layout.

Bingo. All the motorised points respond at a touch of the point on my laptop screen and each of the locos do what I ask of them subject to the limitations

preset for speed etc. Only snag is that I have set some of the points left instead of right etc so on the screen they don't match what is on the layout. Now have to find how to change order without having to put whole layout back on system.

But again

well done Hornby (even if you upset me the other day by sending a posting to the moderator for vetting for goodness knows what)

geoff77 said:

Are you using Hornby point decoders?

While waiting for GarH to reply, as he started DCC life with a Select, he is almost certainly using Hornby 8247s.

PS. After hitting reply to someone's post, why don't you

type your question after the reply in square brackets, like I have done here, rather than putting Post Reply then your question in a separate post?

geoff77 said:

Are you using Hornby point decoders?
Sorry geoff77 I've been out of the loop for a while and not picked up on your question. Yes I am using Hornby point decoders as suggested by Fishmanoz. I seem to have bought the last

two on my last acquisition as I want to add two manually operated motors to the touch screen but can you get a point decoder? They're obviously more rare than some rare gems and "stock notification" has been on the Hornby Website Shop for months now. Don't

like the look of other products so guess I'll just have to wait until the third world sweatshops come up with the goods?

[reply]idlemarvel said:

FYI I was in the Hornby visitor centre in Margate today and they have 3 x accessory decoders on their shelves, £32 each I think.[Cheers for info - not local enough to call in I'm afraid and if the site is showing "stock notification"

then unsure as to how one goes about securing one of the "bargain" offers as they are £39.99 retail. Have given up and am going to try a "same as R8427" product from somewhere else on offer from £45.35 to £22.00 plus postage. If it works fine, if not then

it's all part of the experience.]

GarH said:

Brilliant - sorted as suggested but had a bit of a shock turning on everything initially when software announced:

a) it couldn't do upgrade
b) couldn't find eLink unit
c) etc etc

but solved by switching all

off again and rebooting and worked as before. Guess judging from others on the forumns that it ain't always going to be smooth running just like operating a railway in real life?

Win 8 64 bit.
Just got back home to Cyprus after a spell in

UK with an E-link in my bag.
As I was already running RM in demo mode and had a plan, but with limited points and programming, all I did was enter the activation code to release RM into full capability mode. Verification took a couple of minutes then reported

activation successful.
Next was to update the plan to add my remaining points.
Finally I switched the Elite out for the E-Link unit.
Everything went smoothly including all the RM and E-Link updates.
All I had to do was to exit and restart RM to

ensure that all loose ends were tidied up.
Thank you Hornby for both RM and E-Link and a faultless upgrade.
I look forward to tackling bigger and better programmes in anticipation of loco detection being released.
Rob.

GarH said:

[reply]idlemarvel said:

FYI I was in the Hornby visitor centre in Margate today and they have 3 x accessory decoders on their shelves, £32 each I think.[Cheers for info - not local enough to call in I'm afraid and if the

site is showing "stock notification" then unsure as to how one goes about securing one of the "bargain" offers as they are £39.99 retail. Have given up and am going to try a "same as R8427" product from somewhere else on offer from £45.35 to £22.00 plus postage.

If it works fine, if not then it's all part of the experience.]

Fishmanoz said:

Good experience Brat. I know this question has been asked before but why did you decide to change from Elite to eLink?

@fishy
It was a present, but I was after one anyhow as eventually I intend to use the

Elite to control the trains and the E-link to control the points and routing.
The Elite will allow manual takeover if required, whilst I already have a manual points system in parallel with the acc decoders.

Archived