problem with elite driver

i'm trying to configure my elite to communicate with my lap top,running windows 7
but i keep getting the message that it cannot find a driver. I am not computer literate so please reply in terms an idiot (me) can understand. I have used the automatic

prompts on the laptop but all to no avail.
any help would be appreciated

In the manual it says point windows to the RailMaster folder to pick up the driver. That's where the drivers are for the Elite.

So when windows ask where the driver is just browse to your c:\program files\railmaster folder and it'll continue the

installation of the driver.

hi lmstim
it does not ask me where the driver is it just says cannot find driver
how do i point it to c:\program files\railmaster?
do i have to have railmaster running before i try to

configure?
if so is the sequence - connect usb cable,switch pc on.switch railmaster on and finally switch elite on
regards

hi LMStim
since my last reply i have found that the only drivers listed in the railmaster folder are two lines for windows xp & 2 lines for windows vista. There are no drivers listed for windows 7.
could this be the problem?
best regards
steamfreak

here are the instructions from the manual - if you follow this it should work.

TheseinstructionsassumeyouareusingWindowsXP. Windows95,98,Vista and Windows 7 may be slightly different.
Switch on your Hornby Elite and connect it to your PC using

a high quality printer USB cable. When the “Found New Hardware Wizard” is displayed select “No, not at this time” in response to allowing Windows to search on the Internet for a driver. Then click “Next”.
The next screen will then show the “CDC RS-232 Emulation

Demo” hardware found and you should select “Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)” and click “Next”.
Using the “Browse” button on the next page, navigate to “C:\Program Files\RailMaster” and click “OK”. Note: this path assumes that you have

installed RailMaster in the default folder shown on the setup program.
The “Found New Hardware Wizard” will then say that you are installing the “R8214 Hornby Elite” and ask you to continue or STOP. You should press the “Continue Anyway” button and the

driver will then be installed within a few seconds.

hi Valderrama
excellent

advice and instructions
my elite is now configured
all i have do do now,is learn how to use railmaster!
many thanks
steamfreak

Archived