Idiot's guide to using elink on an existing layout

shotayo

Hello,

I wonder if anyone could point me in the right direction. I have bought various DCC train sets, mixed freight, virgin pendolino and western master. I have created my own track and have been running 3 sets on the Select Controller. I would

now like to use the elink.

A) how do I ensure that my existing track is the one seen in RailMaster?

B) People have mentioned Programme Track, what is a Programme Track and how do you know/ switch between tracks.

C) Do I have to use a controller

as well as elink as I have 8 points (all manual at the moment as I have not got around to connecting them up)

D) is their an idiot's guide available to walk through novice elink setup

A programming track can either be a totally separate piece of track, not connected to your layout at all, or it can be a section of track on your layout that is isolated, using either insulated rail joiners and switches or the Hornby double isolating tracks.

The

eLink is the controller hardware, but you need a laptop, or tablet computer, to operate it.

To control points you will need to buy accessory decoders.

poliss said:

A programming track can either be a totally separate piece of track, not connected to your layout at all, or it can be a section of track on your layout that is isolated, using either insulated rail joiners and switches or the

Hornby double isolating tracks.
The eLink is the controller hardware, but you need a laptop, or tablet computer, to operate it.
To control points you will need to buy accessory decoders.

Thanks poliss for the speedy reply. I have my elink

setup. and 1 loco pendelino set to id 1. using the throttle on my laptop, no power seems to be going to the loco. The wires are configured into the elink as they were on my select. The Com port is correct.

Poliss has answered B and C.

A. You put a schematic diagram of your track into Railmaster (RM) so you can use it.

D. I suggest you start by going to the DCC section of this site and look for and install the trial version of RM. It is this

that you have to learn how to operate, the eLink is just an interface between RM and the track. After you install the download, the next time you start it up, it will update itself to the latest version and you will find the Manual for it installed onto your

desktop. The manual is a better then idiot's guide. Read it.

• 4 weeks later...

Really don't agree with the manual being an idiot guild

If you are just back onto the hobby and on to dcc hornby have not taken the likes of us into consideration at all.people may think the rm manual is easy to follow but not for me

I may be from

essex but I'm not thick .a walk through step by step idiots guild is a must.

Chris, when shotayo started this thread, he asked 3 specific questions and queried the existence of an idiot's guide. He presumably already had an amount of DCC knowledge through his experience with the Select.

His questions were answered in the

first 2 replies and we haven't heard from him again. He was either happy with the answers and got on with it, or maybe completely confused and stayed with the simple but limited capability Select.

As I said above, if you install the trial version of

RM, when next opened it upgrades to the latest version. You are also given the latest RM manual, the eLink/Elite installation manual and the handheld app manual. They really do cover everything there is to know. However, if you need more general DCC knowledge

to put the RM's capability into context, I suggest you take a look at the DCC section of Brian Lambert's excellent site which is often referenced here.

And if there are specifics that you are having problems with, beyond what you found from badger,

then please ask. Most here are only too pleased to help and share their knowledge.

PS. Looking forward to visiting the Essex Idiots' Guild when next in the area. I'm sure there is more to learn on idiocy than I've gleaned from the guilds around here.

Archived