Basic questions on moving to DCC

FMT

I have a relatively small Hornby layout (6'x4').

It has five locomotives (2 DCC ready and 3 DC). It has four points.

In 2014 I am contemplating converting to DCC by 'replacing' the DC locomotives with three DCC fitted locos and getting decoders

for the two DCC ready.

Ideally, I would like to be able set my track up such that on one day I could run it as analogue (with my current locos) and on another day, take of the DC locos, and run it as DCC by connecting up a DCC controller?

Is

this possible? Or, once I have fitted the digital pins to my points, is DC gone for good?

Alternatively, given the size of my layout would people advise sticking with DC? Does Hornby plan to support DC in the years ahead?

Thanks.

The point clips make the whole layout live. Instead of using them you could either have feeder wires after the points connected to switches, or use power clips or power tracks after the points, again using switches to isolate the tracks when using DC.

It

is essential that DC and DCC controllers are never connected to the track at the same time.

DCC is not about how big your layout is. It's about finer control and extra functions of your locos.

Thanks for your reply.

I am correct in inferring then that I can connect my DC controller to the track one day, and run my analogue locos, and then the next day attach a DCC controller and run DCC fitted locos without changing any wiring?

And,

as an aside; I currently use line wire on my DC layout (at selected points) can I use digital clips instead with my current DC track (or are they for digital only)?

As you only have four points it isn't going to take much to remove the clips on each (a total of 8 in all) and convert it back to your present DC layout and use your DC controls. As poliss says don't connect two different controls to the layout at the

same time. I have an 8' by 4' layout with 10 points two of which don't have the clips so the sidings are isolated and if I want to use a DC loco I can connect my Select controller and using the 00 setting run the DC locos without harm as long as they are taken

back to the isolated track or removed from the layout. Well that's what I used to do before upgrading to eLink and Railmaster. If my grandson wants to "race" some of his older DC locos I just disconnect the eLink and connect up my Select and use the 00 setting.

You can of course think about converting the old DC locos to DCC to run them all?

DCC point clips make the point live in both directions, so you can use it DCC or DC but all locos on the layout will move as soon as you run one.

I agree with poliss, don't use DCC clips but instead use track feeds either side of the points. And

you don't have to include switches, just disconnect them when running DC.

Also, you don't have to run your old locos DC when you have DCC equipment as they can still be converted to DCC, some very simply, some older ones can be more fiddly.

And

I'd say it is very much your choice whether you decide to go this way or not.

And you can't use DC power tracks and feeds for DCC as they have a capacitor in them that degrades the DCC signal. But you can flip open the cover and remove the capacitor to convert them. And they'll still work on DC after you do that. Interference to

electronic equipment is possible after you do this on DC, but unlikely.

You are correct. There's no need to change any wiring. All you need to do is have switches to isolate sections so that when you're using DC the whole track isn't live.

The only difference between Digital power connecting track/clips and the DC versions

is that the DC ones have a capacitor fitted to stop interference with TVS. DCC fitted locos may not run properly with the DC power clips/tracks.

I am very grateful for people's responses but I think I am getting to the bottom of this now.

I could have one section of the layout with a DC Power Track isolated from a section of layout with a DCC Power Track and run both sets of locos on their

respective sections?

This is all new as you can tell :-)

Thanks Graskie, I don't let the DC locos stay on the live track - they either come off when my grandson has finished "racing" them (sometimes literally but then he is only 5 and you gotta let the youngsters have a "head of steam" now and then) or they

go on to an isolated piece of track in a loco shed to be taken off when eLink takes over. I was a good boy and read the instructions when I upgraded from DC to DCC originally.

But that can be done from the uncontrolled DC output on my Elite, can't it? I must admit, I used to use a DC controller for my turntable years ago on a previous layout, but I haven't actually got round to putting it on my present one yet. But even then,

I would hope to be able to operate it digitally.

poliss said:

Nopers. You need all the power from the Elite for things that run on the rails. A DC controller is also useful for testing DC locos before converting to DCC.

That's incorrect Poliss. The Elite, when used with a 4 amp

power supply, provides up to 3 amps to the track and up to 1 amp for accessories. Taking power from the accessory output doesn't affect the power to the track.

Archived