Just curious - power connector question

Nictor

Browsing through track I see that there are two types of power connecting track available both at the same price. The R8206 Power track and the R8241 Digital power track. As a relative newbie I wondered what the difference was? (If any).

Using the

R8206 with my DCC set up anyway and going to use a bus set up with link wires soldered to track once I finalise everything.

The R8206 power track has a radio interference suppressor capacitor fitted to it which will affect DCC operation as it distorts the DCC signal. This can be removed by prising up the cover of the plastic block in the middle of the track and snipping it

out. The R8241 (digital) power track doesn't have the suppressor capacitor fitted.

As previous; the R8206 has a capacitor connected across the terminals, the R8241, has not. the capacitor (suppressor) was? a legal requirement for suppression of radio frequency interference. Now that most radio transmissions are of much higher frequencies

and TV transmissions have gone to digital, the possible interference is minimal, so suppressors aren't that necessary. However, I've been running DCC systems using the standard 'power clip' with no ill effects. I understand the theory; the capacitor across

the DCC signal will degrade the signal, but in practice, if the signal is strong enough, it doesn't!

If you are going to use a bus system with direct wiring, the problem doesn't arise.

Archived