Fitting a Reverse Loop Module

Steamy Gramps

Hi, I have set up a reversing loop on my layout and fitted a Hornby Reverse Loop Module set to operate with my Elite Controller. I believe I have wired it up correctly in accordance with the instructions with the reversing loop isolated from the rest of

the track by insulated fishplates and the module sitting between the powered track and the isolated track. There are 2 sets of points on the reverse loop (perhaps this is the problem?)connected to other parts of the layout but again these are now fitted with

insulated fishplates to isolate the loop. When I power up my layout everything works fine on the powered side of the layout and the red light comes on on the Reverse Loop Module however as soon as a loco enters the reverse loop it stops as if there is no power

getting to that side. I assumed the power would flow through the Module and therefore no separate power connection is required on the isolated side. Any thoughts what I may have done wrong.

Thanks

Your points don't change things, assuming you have them isolated on the main layout side of them. If you use IRJs within the loop, you will have to have the RLM connected either side within the loop. Simpler to only have the IRJs outside between loop and

layout.

And remember, your loop must be longer then your longest train or the RLM can't figure out which polarity is needed.

Thanks Gents a lot of very useful information to look at in your responses to check out if my installations meets all the criteria. One thing seems certain I believe it is not cross wired as it doesn't short out at all also I'm sure the isolated loop has

no power in it as I have pushed a carriage with lights across it and the lights go out as soon as it enters the isolated section. The Reverse Loop Module makes a loud click when I switch on the power and the red light comes on but is it possible it is simply

that the module is faulty? If I send it to Hornby (even though I didn't buy it from them directly) will they check it for me? Also the power clip connections to the rails are not the best might it be better if I solder the connections from the module to the

rails?

Thank you

First push your carriage through the entire loop to make sure there is no power anywhere in the loop. Then, if no power anywhere, either the output of the RLM is not connected to the loop, or there is no output at all from the RLM.

If the latter,

then do contact Hornby Customer Care about it.

Archived