Help with changing loco address - Updated not working?

My track is built and is live and RailMaster now activated, tested and working ;-)

I have a number of loco's, steam and diesel/electric, all but one have DCC ID set at 3 so I am trying to change the programming of this.

With just one loco

on the track I entered the locomotive list from in RailMaster.

I chose the loco from the list and clicked 'i' loco settings.

I before opening these pages set the loco number to 0012 and clicked the Sigma sign (M on it's side)

Another box

appeared - Locomotive DCC ID; 0012 so far so good so then clicked the Tick.

Nothing happened to tell me it had updated? I waited 30 seconds then back tracked to the loco list in the right hand column on the main page.

Loco ID: 0012 that was set.

I

tried the loco and nothing happened. It worked on 0003 what have I done wrong?

Have I missed something?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PJ, full instructions can be found on pp42-44 of the manual. In summary, to just change ID, start with your loco on the programming track, open the loco Settings window and select your loco from the list, or enter your loco from the list in RM or otherwise

as shown in the manual. Now simply click the Change Loco ID button, the middle one at the bottom of the window, and enter your new ID. This detail is on p44.

That should be all you need to do. Move to the track from programming track and test.

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I initially picked up a thread in the forum search 129 days ago and pages didn't match.

I did try what you said but sadly no luck???

programmed track - ok (working locos on ID 0003

only one loco

on the track - ok

clicked single loco icon brought up list of locos - ok

clicked on one to change new window opened - ok

set DCC ID: 0014 and Detection ID: 14...

clioked change current loco ID small window popped up with 0014 in

it - clicked ok box disappeared - ok it seems

Clicked tick then X to close window and loco list right side of page refreshes.

DCC ID shows 14 so everything should be ok - but nothing happens?

Went through it again and it said ID 14 was

used so it had accepted that as no other loco has 0014 at this stage.

One last try... go back to main screen change DCC ID in loco box on right to 0003...

Yes it works but it shouldn't work on 0003 ... so software appears to be updating new DCC ID

but in effect is not?

Suggestions please

Many thanks

After setting the ID you want, try reading the CVs as per instructions on pp42-43 and see what you get. Should tell you the correct ID and all other CVs held in the decoder.

If you get a whole lot of 255s returned or other error message, it means

it cannot read the decoder at all.

When programming the new ID, try some slight downward pressure on the loco to ensure good electrical connection. And do check that all of your connections are good, track and wheels clean and good pickup tension on

the loco wheels. I know it is all nearly new but check it all anyway if any hint that it can't read or write Cvs.

Hi PJ, I am having the same problem and I have had a reply from Hornby support - see thread 'Loco Definition screen'. When I changed a Loco ID using my Dynamis DCC system yesterday you get a definite click and a small movement of the loco to confirm it

has changed the ID. With railmaster I changed the ID from the 'Loco Definition' screen directly and the loco ID on the loco list showed the new number BUT there was no other indication it had been changed. Tried the loco again and got nothing. Changed it back

to ID3 and all was fine again with the loco.

This sounds exactly the same problem as you - Railmaster showed it had changed the ID BUT in fact it also proved it had not changed the ID. I am at the 'trying to read cv's' stage and I will try the extra

downward pressure suggestion above next.

Iangwarsop said:

Hi PJ, I am having the same problem and I have had a reply from Hornby support - see thread 'Loco Definition screen'. When I changed a Loco ID using my Dynamis DCC system yesterday you get a definite click and a small movement

of the loco to confirm it has changed the ID. With railmaster I changed the ID from the 'Loco Definition' screen directly and the loco ID on the loco list showed the new number BUT there was no other indication it had been changed. Tried the loco again and

got nothing. Changed it back to ID3 and all was fine again with the loco.

This sounds exactly the same problem as you - Railmaster showed it had changed the ID BUT in fact it also proved it had not changed the ID. I am at the 'trying to read cv's' stage

and I will try the extra downward pressure suggestion above next.

Hi at least I am not on my own! What power do you have to your programmable track? I have just finished building the layout, 2.5 ovals, 13 sidings and a cross over. Part is isolated

but 3/4 is only fed at present from one power feed. I am assuming there is not enough power yet for it to carry out the changes required.

The DCC Bus is in place and 3 dozen live and neutral droppers are in place, today I hope to have the board up-ended

and start connecting all the droppers, the reverse loop module and the connections to the isolated areas and then check it again. Following that I will install all the point motors but Hornby do not have the decoders for these.

Meanwhile I will watch

to see any replies from Hornby or to yourself.

Many thanks for confirming your experience and that you are experiencing the same problem.

Paul (PJ)

Trying to suss the problem continued.....

I have taken 8 pieces of brand new curved track, added power to the track and tested the locos as before. This eliminates any problems there could have been with the 90' of track, 21 points, etc, etc.

The

result 'exactly the same'

Locos will speed round the test circle on DCC ID 0003 but will not change ID although it appears to accept the change when programming it.

HELP PLEASE.

I have closed the program and re-opened it. Switched off

the eLink and put it back on. I have shut down the laptop and restarted it.

I don't want to uninstall the software in case I can't re-install it.

My track/layout is still being planned out 'on top' with wires to a 10'x 4' test area (one end in final position) before I go drilling holes and dropping wires and running out a BUS circuit.

The Program track is only two length of straight track so

there should be no power problems - I will test it later - but the Dynamis DCC controller had no problems programming to it.

I will post something as soon as I get back up the loft and try some more testing.

There seems to be some confusion on how to change the DCC ID of a loco's chip within RailMaster, although this is explained in the PDF guide.

Firstly, to avoid any doubt about the connection between the loco on the programming track and the eLink

or Elite the first thing to do is to tell RailMaster to read all the loco's CVs. This will take only a few minutes. From within the loco settings screen press the loco programming button at the bottom and enter the range from 1 to 255 in the CVs window. To

be on the safe side, enter an interval of 12 seconds then press the green tick. This will read all CVs. If this part fails, then there is no point continuing to trying to change CVs as there is clearly something wrong with the communications which needs to

be resolved first.

If your loco CVs are happily read then you can write CVs too and they must work. There are two scenarios where you would write a loco DCC ID value.

1. If your loco is newly setup in the loco settings screen and you want to

assign it a new ID, say 39 (the factory default of the loco chip is 3), then all you do is choose 39 as the loco ID in the loco settings screen. You then press the loco programming button at the bottom and change CV 1 to a value of 39 (it will go green) then

press the 'Write' button on the bottom left of the CVs programming window. This will start programming your loco. You then exit the CVs windows and save the loco in the loco settings window by pressing the green tick and you are done. This takes a minute.

If you have a loco already set up in the locos database, say ID 39, but wish to change the ID to, say, 43 then all you do is call up the loco with ID 39 in the loco settings screen and press the change loco ID button in the loco settings screen. You can select

a new ID and tick and this will change it in the database of locos. However, you now need to actually program the loco chip with this new ID, so you press the loco programming button (as 1. above), change CV 1 to 43, press the 'Write' button, exit the programming

window and save the loco as in 1. above.

Hopefully, that removes any confusion.

HornbyRailMasterSupport said:

There seems to be some confusion on how to change the DCC ID of a loco's chip within RailMaster, although this is explained in the PDF guide.

Firstly, to avoid any doubt about the connection between the

loco on the programming track and the eLink or Elite the first thing to do is to tell RailMaster to read all the loco's CVs. This will take only a few minutes. From within the loco settings screen press the loco programming button at the bottom and enter the

range from 1 to 255 in the CVs window. To be on the safe side, enter an interval of 12 seconds then press the green tick. This will read all CVs. If this part fails, then there is no point continuing to trying to change CVs as there is clearly something wrong

with the communications which needs to be resolved first.

If your loco CVs are happily read then you can write CVs too and they must work. There are two scenarios where you would write a loco DCC ID value.

1. If your loco is newly setup in the

loco settings screen and you want to assign it a new ID, say 39 (the factory default of the loco chip is 3), then all you do is choose 39 as the loco ID in the loco settings screen. You then press the loco programming button at the bottom and change CV 1 to

a value of 39 (it will go green) then press the 'Write' button on the bottom left of the CVs programming window. This will start programming your loco. You then exit the CVs windows and save the loco in the loco settings window by pressing the green tick and

you are done. This takes a minute.

2. If you have a loco already set up in the locos database, say ID 39, but wish to change the ID to, say, 43 then all you do is call up the loco with ID 39 in the loco settings screen and press the change loco ID button

in the loco settings screen. You can select a new ID and tick and this will change it in the database of locos. However, you now need to actually program the loco chip with this new ID, so you press the loco programming button (as 1. above), change CV 1 to

43, press the 'Write' button, exit the programming window and save the loco as in 1. above.

Thanks for your reply. I am away until Tuesday next week so will go through it on my return.

PJ

Update - I have tried again with my none sound loco and I failed to changed the ID as before.

I then went through to the reading cv's screen and pressed the tick and the tick again to say yes to read the cv's but before I did this I used Fishmanoz's

suggestion and put DOWNWARD PRESSURE on the loco and hey presto it started reading the cv's. I changed from my hand to two small bags of track ballast and it missed one of the cv's as I sorted this out. It took an hour to read all 255.

A couple of points

-

- My Dynamis DCC system changed the ID without this on the same loco

- what is the voltage to the program track as this obviously effects the connection to the chip?? don't know enough of this area.

- This loco needs its direction changing but I

don't know how to do this yet - any help would be grateful.

- I still think the manual could be better written in this area and needs a clearer image with arrows or something similar explaining the buttons - the pop ups do help, but I would like step by

step YouTube videos as is available with Bachmann Dynamis from their website.

Off to bed now looking forward to fish and chips at our local fisha and chip restaurant tomorrow.

HornbyRailMasterSupport said:

Firstly, to avoid any doubt about the connection between the

loco on the programming track and the eLink or Elite the first thing to do is to tell RailMaster to read all the loco's CVs. This will take only a few minutes. From within the loco settings screen press the loco programming button at the bottom and enter the

range from 1 to 255 in the CVs window. To be on the safe side, enter an interval of 12 seconds then press the green tick. This will read all CVs. If this part fails, then there is no point continuing to trying to change CVs as there is clearly something wrong

with the communications which needs to be resolved first.

1. If your loco is newly setup in the

loco settings screen and you want to assign it a new ID, say 39 (the factory default of the loco chip is 3), then all you do is choose 39 as the loco ID in the loco settings screen. You then press the loco programming button at the bottom and change CV 1 to

a value of 39 (it will go green) then press the 'Write' button on the bottom left of the CVs programming window. This will start programming your loco. You then exit the CVs windows and save the loco in the loco settings window by pressing the green tick and

you are done. This takes a minute.

2. If you have a loco already set up in the locos database, say ID 39, but wish to change the ID to, say, 43 then all you do is call up the loco with ID 39 in the loco settings screen and press the change loco ID button

in the loco settings screen. You can select a new ID and tick and this will change it in the database of locos. However, you now need to actually program the loco chip with this new ID, so you press the loco programming button (as 1. above), change CV 1 to

43, press the 'Write' button, exit the programming window and save the loco as in 1. above.

* * * HELP PLEASE * * *

I have done the following and still cannot read loco cv's

TRAIL

I used a brand new piece of Hornby track R601 Double Straight.
To it I connected a DCC Power connection clip. Solder joint at the clip and inserted in the the two terminals (Track) on the eLink

I tested 3 locos and they all moved backwards

and forwards.

I then clicked Setup Locomotives button top of the RailMaster screen

I selected one loco set at DCC ID3
I then selected the Locomotive CVs button at the bottom (The 'i' button)
The Loco CV check page came up, the range was

already set 1 - 255
and the time already set to 12 seconds.

I clicked the Green Button...
It stated that the CV reading could take 59 mins 30 secs.
It started and then confirmed... Reading (in red)
Then... Error (in red)
It then tried

to repeat the check but the result was the same finally confirming...
RailMaster could not read the CV setting after several attempts.

TRIAL - 2

I then used Hornby track as above with R8241 power track connected to the eLink.
Locos tested

and all worked forward and reverse.
Check CVs gave exactly the same results???

I have spent nearly £900 so far, I planned to purchase the Majestic set and 5x point decoders, more locos and rolling stock, scenery etc etc etc. I am now serious wondering

if I am doing the right thing. I must get the locos programmed and be happy at this stage before I spend another penny. My concern is others have had problems with Hornby cv programming yet another system Has programmed the locos for them no problem? Is it

the Hornby system? Is it something I am doing wrong?

Help please.

PJ_model_trains said:

* * * HELP PLEASE * * *

I have done the following and still cannot read loco cv's

TRAIL - 1

I used a brand new piece of Hornby track R601 Double Straight.
To it I connected a DCC Power connection

clip. Solder joint at the clip and inserted in the the two terminals (Track) on the eLink

I tested 3 locos and they all moved backwards and forwards.

After the stage above you need to move your length of R601 track to the PROG (Programme)

terminals instead.

Yes, I wondered about that possibility. Locos do not operate on a programming track. They have to be programmed separately and ideally on that from the correct programming terminals and then they should be transferred to the main layout separated from

the programming track where they should work.

dgilbert2 said:

After the stage above you need to move your length of R601 track to the PROG (Programme) terminals instead.

Graskie said:

Yes, I wondered about that possibility. Locos do not operate on a programming

track. They have to be programmed separately and ideally on that from the correct programming terminals and then they should be transferred to the main layout separated from the programming track where they should work.

Many thanks... we are

half way there.

I have the two lengths of track, double straight and DCC power rail mentioned earlier.

I took the wires from the track terminals in the eLink and moved them to the Program terminals. I went to locos and checked CV's. It read them

no problem Brilliant.

So I then tried to change the Loco DCC ID but it didn't do it?

Wires still from track to eLink Program terminals I went to loco settings and change Loco DCC ID from 0003 to 0012 clicked to carry it out but there is no confirmation

or error message (I think Hornby are looking in to this on their next upgrade of the software). So assuming it had worked I changed the wires from the program terminals to the track terminals to try the loco. It won't run on 0012 but when I try 0003 it will

run???

I put wires back to program terminals and went to check CV's and it still says 0003.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks everyone for your help.

PJ_model_trains said:

Many thanks... we are half way there.

I have the two lengths of track, double straight and DCC power rail mentioned earlier.

I took the wires from the track terminals in the eLink and moved them to the

Program terminals. I went to locos and checked CV's. It read them no problem Brilliant.

Wires still from track to eLink Program terminals I went to loco settings and change Loco DCC

ID from 0003 to 0012 clicked to carry it out but there is no confirmation or error message (I think Hornby are looking in to this on their next upgrade of the software). So assuming it had worked I changed the wires from the program terminals to the track

terminals to try the loco. It won't run on 0012 but when I try 0003 it will run???

I put wires back to program terminals and went to check CV's and it still says 0003.

Thanks everyone for your help.

dgilbert2 said:

PJ_model_trains said:

Many thanks... we are half way there.

I took the wires from the track terminals in the eLink

and moved them to the Program terminals. I went to locos and checked CV's. It read them no problem Brilliant.

Wires still from track to eLink Program terminals I went to loco settings

and change Loco DCC ID from 0003 to 0012 clicked to carry it out but there is no confirmation or error message (I think Hornby are looking in to this on their next upgrade of the software). So assuming it had worked I changed the wires from the program terminals

to the track terminals to try the loco. It won't run on 0012 but when I try 0003 it will run???

Thanks everyone for your

help.

To reprogramme the loco Id go to the list of cv's again and change cv1 from 3 to 12. Then press the cv write button (bottom left). When finished writing, check cv has changed by reading cv1. You should then be there ;-)

dgilbert2 said:

To reprogramme the loco Id go to the list of cv's again and change cv1 from 3 to 12. Then press the cv write button (bottom left). When finished writing, check cv has changed by reading cv1. You should then be there ;-)

Many

thanks for your help, all loco's now programed starting at 10, 20, 30 and 40 for the various types so it is easy to add into.

Where was I going wrong?

1)
I was trying to program through track feeds thinking all info passes through the

DCC Bus. Everything is new to me, I didn't even know what a DCC Bus was a month ago.

2) I guess others may have fallen for this one. I opened Loco's / Loco CV's
then tried to change the loco DCC code using the Write 4-digit Loco address button.

My logic told me this had to be right as it was 'a 4 digit code' The CV codes are 3 digits.

All's well that ends well, we got there. Thanks every one for your help.

At last I have found time connect all the droppers to the DCC Bus, tomorrow I

will add the Reverse Loop Module plus wiring but I think it best to test the main Bus, uninsulated areas first make sure they are correct and no short circuits ;-)

dgilbert2 said:

After the stage above you need to move your length of R601 track to the PROG (Programme) terminals instead.

Am I right in assuming, the PROG connections are only for programming locos?

I have just under

100' of rail all laid, 21 points etc, etc. Once the DCC Bus and Reverse Loop Module is all wired in I will be moving to the points. The events of the last few days and finding out how to program locos makes me ask a few questions before I start fitting point

motors.

1) Do point motors have to be programmed like the Loco's linked to programmed track?
I have all 21 points laid already and was going to add the point motors once the other wiring is complete.

At present points are set up in RailMaster

ready, starting with 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 etc and each set to start straight or branch off as required.

Hornby do not have the point accessory decoders and from what I gather will not have them until Christmas which probably means the middle of January!

Has

anyone used the TawCraft decoder or other makes. I will be looking for 5x 4 decoders. Comments welcome. TawCraft decoder is on eBay title 'DCC Point Decoder Hornby, Peco, etc R8247 Type Decoder'

PJ_model_trains said:

I guess others may have fallen for this one. I opened Loco's / Loco CV's
then tried to change the loco DCC code using the Write 4-digit Loco address button. My logic told me this had to be right as it was 'a 4 digit

code' The CV codes are 3 digits.

I agree with you, this part of RailMaster is confusing! I'm pleased you have managed to get it working now.

PJ_model_trains said:

I have just under 100' of rail all laid, 21 points etc, etc. Once the DCC Bus and Reverse Loop Module is all wired in I will be moving

to the points. The events of the last few days and finding out how to program locos makes me ask a few questions before I start fitting point motors.

1) Do point motors have to be programmed like the Loco's linked to programmed track?
I have all

21 points laid already and was going to add the point motors once the other wiring is complete.

At present points are set up in RailMaster ready, starting with 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 etc and each set to start straight or branch off as required.

Hornby

do not have the point accessory decoders and from what I gather will not have them until Christmas which probably means the middle of January!

Has anyone used the TawCraft decoder or other makes. I will be looking for 5x 4 decoders. Comments welcome.

TawCraft decoder is on eBay title 'DCC Point Decoder Hornby, Peco, etc R8247 Type Decoder'

The Point Accessory Decoders need to be programmed from the PROG terminals also. Sorry , I have not used the Tawcraft one.

PJ_model_trains said:

The recommended (by Hornby support) way to program Hornby accessory decoders is to wire them directly to the prog connections.

I use this method and it never fails.
eHattons are still selling what they called R8247 type accessory decoders for £22.
I have no experience of them.

Hey PJ, you are certainly getting there now. Just to summarise, can I suggest you now go back and reread the HRMS post and you will see it told you to do exactly as you now know you have to.

As a general rule, all decoders have to be programmed

on the programming track, including accessory decoders. It is possible to do some things in this regard on the main, but ignore that for now and stick with the programming track.

The best way of setting up a programming track is to have an isolated

siding on your layout (use insulated fishplates) with a double pole double throw break before make switch to programming and track outputs so you can power it from either. Then you can both use it as part of your layout when not programming, and drive locos

in and out using the track output, then switch to programming output when they are in the siding to be programmed.

The Hattons accessory decoder mentioned is in fact an ESU Switchpilot. Take a look for that in the thread titles here and you will have

many happy hours of reading the problems that people have had programming these. There is a happy ending too as it is possible but needs the setup instructions to be followed fully to do it.

I am not familiar with the Tawcroft either. I suggest you

email RM Support and ask them about it. You will also find more about Traintronics and DCC Concepts decoders in the threads too. If thinking DCC Concepts as a possibility, look at the the 8-way with the S for Solenoid in the model type as the best option for

you.

Finally, not sure if I've mentioned this before, don't understand why you are starting your points at 61 not 1. 61 is only relevant as the Select starting address and quite irrelevant and likely to confuse with RM. So you might consider reprogramming

your point numbers now.

Fishmanoz said:

Hey PJ, you are certainly getting there now. Just to summarise, can I suggest you now go back and reread the HRMS post and you will see it told you to do exactly as you now know you have to.

PJ_model_trains

said:

I guess others may have fallen for this one. I opened Loco's / Loco CV's
then tried to change the loco DCC code using the Write 4-digit Loco address button. My logic told me this had to be right as it was 'a 4 digit code' The CV codes are 3

digits.

dgilbert2 also replied...
I agree with you, this part of RailMaster is confusing! I'm pleased you have managed to get it working now.

I think Hornby could make this clearer Fishy

Archived