duchess of abercorn

kiltedscot

anyone know how to convert the duchess of Abercorn to dcc, there is only one wire to the ring field motor (red) from the tender. which is connected to the main engine unit with also has a pick up from one of the front wheels,, having read a few blogs about

but still a bit unsure. some say left of the motor to left of the wheels how is left determined and if there continuity resolve it before connecting the dcc chip cheers

It's a pretty easy conversion, there have been many articles on here including one by myself about how to do the conversion of the old 3 pole ringfield motor, I'm sure one of the guys will provide a link. Pickup from the loco goes to a contact pin on the

tender underframe as normal from the loco. The tender power unit has a cast pin on the cast metal motor chassis under one motor contact and this pin must be insulated and the link wire to this contact removed, The rest is a simple DCC fitting apart from the

loco.

The bulb in the loco acts as a short across the loco decoder power feed and is best removed/ If you want the lighting to work it's best to fit LED's, these can be powered from the decoder's functions giving you the option of being able to turn

the lighting on or off and have directional lighting. It means of course permanently coupling the loco to tender as you will need to run wires fromo the decoder to the lighting LED's, or alternately if that option doesn't appeal then fitting a second decoder

this time in the loco will allow the lights to be controlled anf loco and tender to remain seperate.

Another alternative is to remove the tender motor and fit a good X.04 motor to the loco as the chassis lends itself to this and turns the loco into

a powerhouse performer as I found out some years ago, it also means the decoder can then go into the actual loco and the tender doesn't need to be permanently coupled.

SoT, the last 2 times I've

gone to open links to pictures you have posted using Safari on my iPad, and the last time was last week, the site has opened and shown me your picture, then an error message appears saying unable to open due to an error in the address. When I tap OK on this,

it just keeps reappearing. My only way out is to go to Safari in Settings and delete all the site information under Advanced, leaving me with all of my tabs gone when I reopen Safari. Most annoying.

Has anyone else had this problem? Then any who have

may be unable to answer if they haven't figured out how to solve it.

Archived