Select and F+1 problem

cityrail

Has anyone experienced the following problem? When depressing F+1 together has started displaying A1 and not F1 this means no access to sound on my loco's. It has worked very well for 18 months and is ideal for my 88 yr old dad who can just about manage

to remember loco numbers to work the engines. i understand A1 has to do with setting up a consist but we have never done this as it would be too complicated for dad. I have tried a full reset but no cure any help would be much appreciated.

@cityrail

Is your '1' button working OK?

I say that because a one second long press on the 'F' key is designed to display A1, whereas a one second long press on F+1 together, as you state should display F1.

It seems that the '1' button may not

be working correctly.

(I assume you have the instruction manual. If not it is available to view or print, on the download section of this Hornby website)

Is this the second time this problem has been posted? I thought I replied before?

I think your Select is definitely faulty and should be returned to Hornby Customer Care for repair or under warranty. Maybe ring them first.

This might be

the time to consider upgrading too if not under warranty. Rather then spending more on the very limited capability Select, put it towards the much more capable Elite or eLink. But if your Select is doing everything you need now, and what you are proposing

in the future, repairing it will be your cheapest option. You can definitely get more from your sound locos though using Elite/eLink though. It overcomes the limit of 10 sound functions for a start.

Thanks for all the reply's having given everything a full work out it would seem the 1 button is not working properly. On odd occasion it will give the expected 1 in the display but not at all reliable and not at all when pressed with F. This is really

annoying as this Select was returned to Hornby as it had some function problems when new. However, it is now out of warranty and so any repair will be at cost. An Elite would be a preferred solution but does look a bit more complicated and would probably cause

problems for my dad who a dementia sufferer. Thanks again for the help.

I don't think the Elite is any more complicated for basic functions than Select, just you can do the basics using either knob. However, it is done differently so your father would have to learn a new way.

But there should be no problem getting

Hornby to repost the Select either.

@cityrail

From what you said in your original posting, it did seem to be a Button 1 failure to me.

I would contact Hornby via email and explain that the Select that you had previously had problems with and needed to be returned once has now developed

another fault. It may be that it has just got some dirt under the number 1 button and can easily be repaired once back with Hornby.

I agree that the Elite is not more complicated than the Select. It is far more capable in terms of what it can do and it

has greater Power output but it does work slightly differently to the Select and from what you have said, that may be a problem for your Dad.

I would definitely send an email to Hornby as a starter.

Let us know how you get on.

Archived