Fitting a Chip to the Airfix/Mainline/Dapol/Hornby Dean Goods

81F

I have already tried to do this by fitting a chip into the body but now the loco just keeps stopping. After replacing the wheels, pick up plate and chassis I have come to the conclusion that my problems are as a result of removing much of the weight to

make room for the chip.

Has anyone DCC fitted one of these and how did they do it? I am now considering using a Gaugemaster very small chip in the tender, but thought I try for some advice here first.

@81F

A different loco I realise but I have a loco that keeps stopping. It used to run perfectly and so slowly, it was difficult to tell it was still actually moving. It is a Blue Box Class 08 and it is extremely heavy compared to my Hornby equivalent.

I

am staring to wonder if the decoder is OK.

Incidentally, in your case if you think weight is a problem, it may be worth putting the weight you have removed on top of the loco (even carefully taped on, just to test it). If that sorts it out, then look

at where to position the same amount inside the body, although you need to keep the balance the same as it was originally, before DCC conversion.

I can't help either. I tried looking at the Hornby Railways Collector Guide site but the Hornby versions it has are all tender drive models.

I suggest you look up the Bromsgrove Models site as it covers conversion of many locos of many brands.

In fact the most comprehensive coverage I know of.

Archived