Rebuilt Patriot In LMS Livery

rpjallan

Tapered boilers were not fitted to the Patriots until 1946 so they would have appeared in post War lined black but not in pre-War Crimson Lake. That was a very dull livery, and so not that attractive. Some were subsequently painted in lined BR mixed traffic

black for a short time before they received the passenger dark green with orange and black lining, which then became standard for the class

LMS post war lined black is a beautiful livery, look at the official pictures of ex works locos, when clean (or even lightly weathered) it's a beautiful livery on all the locos that were so painted. Since we may never see a rebuilt Pat in this livery I

went ahead and backdated a new Hornby Pat (which one though I can't remember) and turned it into 5526 Morecambe & Heysham, which I also detailed with a Brassmasters add on kit.

Hornby should make a model of a Pat in the 1946 livery, it will sell well

judging by how quickly their Duchesses and 6133 The Green Howards have sold.

Though in defence of Hornby, the other mob haven't made a Pat or Jubilee in Post War Black either so as I model Crewe North Shed in 1947 repainting and lining a lot of locos

is what I do a fair bit of.

I was suggesting that the reason that there were few examples made as models of the rebuilds was that compared to the BR green the black livery was less distinctive and therefore possibly less attractive. Actually the post-War LMS lined black was very

smart albeit short lived.

The question of what livery sells must be a very difficult one for the manufacturers. At one time only BR liveries were made, then there was a phase when everything only came out in pre-War colours (whether they were authentic

or not) and nowadays at least there seems to be a wider choice.

I recall the old tender drive Black Five was being sold in Crimson Lake, it was all you could get at the time and I wanted one in BR livery, so mine was repainted black, and I made my first

attempt at lining out using a bow pen. My hand / eye co-ordination was better in those days and I made a fair job of it. Nowadays I would stick to using transfers!

rpjallan said:

I already have the LMS rebuilt Royal Scot and

I don't think it's that dull. Certainly not any more dull than any other black liveries (Black 5 for example). I also already have B@CHM@nn Patriot and Jubilee, both in LMS crimson...

• 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Archived