Elite programming faults

52train

I always run my new loco's on default id 3 for a while, until it stops stuttering, and I then know the pickups and contact areas are polished, before I attempt to re-number the id. Before I did this, I often got multiples of the 'set-up' flashes, with

no end result. Also I always polish the bit of set-up track with a cleaning rubber, immediately before programming, and the wheels with a glass brush.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 52train, that,s a bit of a bummer, more so, because the symptoms are the same as started with my elite this evening , not only on programming but locos struggling on travel. Only getting 1 to 2 volts from Elite track outputs terminals. I,m thinking

that I don,t want to spend £180 or more on a new unit or to go down the E-link road. ( Are they available on their own or do you have purchase RM with the unit? And how does it compare with Elite (pros and cons). Anyway will have to wait until Hornby Repair

Dept. pronounce life extinct.

Hi Fishman, thanks, I will send it back to Hornby Repair, and would gladly pay for repair. It must be about 4/5 yrs old. I did not like the results as per the original posting. I was quite hopeful until I read that. I thought that I had read a reply to

a posting where it said that the power output had a fuseable soldered link, and I was hopeful that was the problem. Anyway I will see what Hornby say. An elink will obviously be a cheaper replacement if reqd, but then I find myself having to pay for a RM disc

and I have RM already. And does it give me the equivalent of the Elite? Thanks again.

ELink capability is RM capability, the eLink simply being an interface. So the capability is exactly the same as RM using the Elite, but without the Elite knobs and switches, all programming and control being done from RM.

Personally, my first

choice would be to repair the Elite unless the repair is more expensive than eLink, which it think is unlikely from what others report.

Archived