Welsh Chieftain Lounge Car (ex-Devon Belle Observation Saloon)

Riddles

Hornby have already made the basic vehicle as R4437 and R4473 and only a repaint would be needed. This coach was used on the North Wales Land Cruise trains around 1960 after they had been withdrawn from the Devon Belle but before it and it's sister vehicle

were sent to Scotland for use on the Kyle of Lochalsh line. The coach was also used on various charter trains including one or more to Aintree race meetings and also on the Ian Allan Potteries Express.

A ventilator was fitted in the top of the end windows

after transfer to the London Midland Region but this could probably be replicated with printing.

I am at a loss as to why Hornby has not already produced this as I am sure that they know about it.

There must be hundreds of modellers/collectors who spent holidays in North Wales and will remember these popular attractions from travelling on them or just watching them.

The train operated through a part of the Western Region as well as the London

Midland and I have seen several models at exhibitions featuring the areas where they operated.

It was a much more attractive livery than the plain maroon of R4473 so yes, I think it would be a good seller. In any case, I thought that Hornby intend to

produce less well known prototypes for the niche market.

Archived