How do I identify which speed step I am at?

pacman849

I have a Hornby Elite coupled to RailMaster. I was wondering if anyone knew how to identify what speed step is currently selected when operating a locomotive? The Elite seems to only have an uncalibrated gauge that does not tell me either the Speed Step

or the Percentage Power being applied at any given time, only an approximation on the gauge. Has anyone any idea if this can be done?

Don't have an answer for you pacman. I had assumed each radial bar on the Elite display was a speed step but had never tried to count them to check. There is also the problem that when you set a V start, it is said to be a percentage of maximum volts,

not a speed step.

Then it gets even more complicated when RM sets scales speeds. I wonder if it does that by restricting speeds steps? Academic anyway.

Any particular reason you want to know pacman?

@pacman849,

What are you trying to figure out that is related to the speed steps?

I use JMRI and do have visibility of the speed steps but in the end..... I set the throttle to a certain % value and measure the time a loco take to travel between

two known points. From there I know that a particular setting corresponds to a particular scale speed. The actual speed step value is known in the system but I never need to see it.

Archived