FREE Sounds to make your layout sing with the birds

It is fantastic to have sounds in our trains, moving as the loco moves, sounds keeping up with the pace of the train, braking, squealing, whistles, toots and lots more but why not add a little realism to your layout by using additional sounds to a speaker

under the boards. Many have probably already done so.

What about birds whistling? A plane flying over? A thunder storm? Fireworks? Have you a farm in the layout or even a clock striking the time?

If you have RailMaster software you already have

these sounds in your sounds folder go to program files/RailMaster/Sounds Program (x86) if you have a 64 bit computer) and double click on the files they should open in your Windows media player. Why not search the net for additional sounds and play them the

same way.

This system cannot replace sound in a loco that moves but can add specific sounds in certain areas(including your own voice for stations) and be a fantastic addition.

If you have already done this why not share what you have done to

help and encourage those who haven't yet done so?

I realise the sound files in RM are not free if you purchased the software, but there are many free ones online. (Thought I better clarify that before someone mentions it. LOL)

The reason for this thread was to hopefully encourage others to share

what they have done and to let new members know the files are their for them to use and are just a starter for what is possible.

Bing bong The train now entering platform two.....

tweet tweet

I found this really useful. I recorded numbers 1,2 ,3 etc in Windows sound recorder and then used them in a program to test my points with the message being played after each point operated. Very useful. I also used the echo facility in sound to record

sound bites, station name, service etc and strung these along with the sound files in RM to give really effective station announcements for my layout. Try experimenting its well worth it.

Sounds really good Deltic Malc, to use your words... very useful.

I think the possibilities are endless, we can probably all learn something from each other.

I guess there are a few tech guys out there that can share their 'sound' knowledge

and have stacks to tips and tricks that could not only surprise us but hopefully excite us.

Archived