Railmaster and Nokia windows phones

For a start, the Windows in smart devices is not "real" Windows, so you can't run the full version of RM on it.

Suggest you look at the App manual on your desktop to see the latest list of what operating systems and hardware they have apps for

though. That is way more up to date then what is in Latest News as the entry there is over 12 months old now.

@ Fishmanoz

To be honest I wouldn't expect to run the full version of rail-master on any mobile phone, that why I was asking if there was an app available!

Unfortunately the PDF says there isn't an app for window mobile 7 devices, so as mine

is a windows phone 8 looks like I'm out of luck!

Would have been nice to use it as a controller. I will have to confiscate my son or daughters I-pad!

The RailMaster HandHeld app currently supports all Apple iPod, iPhone and iPad devices. It also supports the majority of Android tablets and phones. Due to the nature of the implementation of Android on a variety of hardware platforms, it is necessary

to test these devices, however RailMaster should work on many different Android devices even if they are not listed on the supported (tested) devices list. we have made the app available free of charge to download and try out before deciding that it works

on your particaulr device and you wish to purchase it.

Windows is a different story. The RailMaster app was developed to run on Windows mobile upto version 6.5. This is a dedicated app for that operating system. Unfortunately, Microsoft have taken the

decision to drastically alter the way their Windows Mobile operating systems work which means that the app cannot run on Windows Mobile 7 or later devices without a complete rewrite and we have to bear in mind that Windows Mobile runs on a small fraction of

devices compared with Apple iOS and Google Android. The app designed for Apple/Android could theoretically run on Windows Mobile if Microsoft allowed third party technology which the app relies on to be installed on their devices. The currently lock down their

operating systems on mobile devices.

The same applies to Windows RT tablet devices. This, again, is another different Windows operating system which is incompatible with 'proper' Windows running on personal computers and also Windows Mobile. Again,

Microsoft took the decision to lock these mobile operating systems down, not allowing the third party technologies needed to run the RailMaster HandHeld app, which in theory the machines should be able to do. As part of our research and development we did

try our best to make the app work on RT, for example, but it would not 'play'.

Therefore, with regard to Windows devices the simple answer is that the RailMaster HandHeld app will not run on their devices (after Windows Mobile 6.5). At some point, due

to pressure from developers and others, Microsoft may well allow third party programs to be installed and in a much easier fashion, however this will reduce their total control of apps so we do not foresee this happening any time soon.

When you consider

that you can now purchase cheap Android tablets from around £50 the Microsoft scenario outlined above may not be an issue for much longer, one way or the other.

Are there any videos of the tablet in action? Have Hornby done one for YouTube?

I really do wonder how much you will see on a tablet or even worse a mobile phone. I use my laptop for the layout and with that I struggle at times. The screen is landscape/cinema

shape, long and not so high. I often have three loco's running at once and want to work on others even more so with having sound on some locos. It would help if loco boxes not in use in the right hand column could reduce in size just leaving details of the

loco and when we want to use it just click to expand it. I use this technique in Adobe Photoshop, it increases the working screen area. If the loco boxes reduced in size I could probably see 15 or more trains and only enlarge the ones when I need to.

I have found the NEW UPDATE from RM, from the '?' icon in RM

I have located and read the relevant parts in RailMaster Handheld PDF file

I have Android 4.1.1 version 5 so that is Ok

I downloaded Google Chrome and typed in the URL stated.

Railmaster

is in the Tablet now but is not recognising the computer and RM was loaded when the Android download was installed.

Settings in RM handhaeld RM state

IP 192.168.0.1

Server port 30

Does anyone know why it is not recognising the laptop?

PJ, have you followed the instructions to set up static IP addresses? Start on your laptop opening a command window and running ipconfig. This will tell you all of your IP addresses on your devices. The IPv4 address you get is the one you need to set your

laptop to. My memory is that the subnet mask may be an issue. Ipconfig tells me mine is 255.255.255.0 but I'm pretty sure I have to set it to 255.255.255.10 which is I think what the manual tells you? Having set it static, run ipconfig again to check it is

correct.

Setting static on your Android I can't help with as I have no experience with them.

Static IP gave people hell when the apps first came out so there is lot of coverage on here going back to Dec 2012/Jan 2013. Have a look around that

time or do a search on ipconfig and you should find my posting more detail than above for people. I don't think the manual tells you that command but it lets you see what you are doing instead of setting it up blind.

You'll know instantly when they

connect. Your locos and layout will come through very quickly and you'll hear RM recognise the handheld and show it down in the bottom right corner. If there is a delay,they haven't recognised each other and it will be the address.

My memory also is that I had trouble with the app trial version and could only get it to work when I registered it. Note it doesn't register on the handheld but in RM on your laptop, a strange way of doing things. But you can deactivate and move it to

another copy of RM at anytime.

Fishmanoz said:

Another thing we discovered by trial and error back then. It doesn't work with just wifi. For some reason it also needs to be connected to the internet to work.

I am aware of that Fishy it is common for items

on wi-fi to request internet connection

I have sorted IPv4 address to IP 192.168.0.5 we have a number of wireless items computer/laptop and tablets etc
IPv4 subnet mask ok on 255,255,255,0

Evaluation version is now working so will give it

a try

Many thanks

Archived