Handheld App Problems - IOS

Thought I'd try my iPad2 handheld app again last night. It connects, receives all locos, latest plan and shows the controls. All good, BUT, after a very short time the icon in the top left corner turns from green to red and it app stops working :-(

Have

rebooted everything, including router, switched of firewall / antivirus but still have the problems.

Last time I tried it a few weeks ago it was fine but since then my iPad2 has been upgraded to ios7 and the app itself has gone to version 1.18

Any

suggestions?

Have you checked the following, in accordance with the RailMaster HandHeld App PDF guide:-

1. Ensured your PC running RailMaster has a fixed IP address

2. Ensured RailMaster on your PC has been added as a full exception to your antivirus and

firewall software (see the separate guide from www.powerpos.com/rail-master/security_en.pdf to help you)

3. Ensured your Firewall(s) are not blocking the TCP port being used by RailMaster for remote devices

4. Set a static IP address on your iPad (to

be on the safe)

5. Set the same starting port number on (they already default to 30) on both RailMaster PC and the app

6. Ensured you have a stable and reliable WiFi connection by going through the PING tests in the guide

If you do all of the

above and ensure they are correct then the RailMaster HandHeld app will work fine.

The fact that it appears to be working for a short time and then stopping points towards 3 above.

Hi Guys,

I have trouble with my Android table dropping out after a short time. I checked the settings for refresh time and made it longer, also could not give a fixed IP address as router did not like that. All is working fine now, don't know if this

will help at all.

Peter

HornbyRailMasterSupport said:

Have you checked the following, in accordance with the RailMaster HandHeld App PDF guide:-

1. Ensured your PC running RailMaster has a fixed IP address
2. Ensured RailMaster on your PC has been added

as a full exception to your antivirus and firewall software (see the separate guide from www.powerpos.com/rail-master/security_en.pdf to help you)
3. Ensured your Firewall(s) are not blocking the TCP port being used by RailMaster for remote devices

Set a static IP address on your iPad (to be on the safe)
5. Set the same starting port number on (they already default to 30) on both RailMaster PC and the app
6. Ensured you have a stable and reliable WiFi connection by going through the PING tests

in the guide

If you do all of the above and ensure they are correct then the RailMaster HandHeld app will work fine.

The fact that it appears to be working for a short time and then stopping points towards 3 above.

Nothing from

this list seem to make a difference.

In terms of 3) I've already said in the first post that I've disabled the Firewall, that's the same thing as 3) isn't it?

pete007 said:

Hi Guys,
I have trouble with my Android table dropping out after a short time. I checked the settings for refresh time and made it longer, also could not give a fixed IP address as router did not like that. All is working

fine now, don't know if this will help at all.

Peter

Peter seems to be on to something here, I set my "Interval" to OFF on the iPad, and now its stays connected. What does that tell us, seems odd?

Fishmanoz said:

A couple of questions Pete. What do you mean your router didn't like it? The IP address you fix is in your PC not your router and how can it tell?

And what of the things you did do you believe solved the problem?

The

IP address was set to static IP on the laptop but the router was in DHCP mode and issuing IP addresses. This isn't normally a problem as you can have mixed static and dynamic but our router refuses to recognize a fixed IP address that is on the network so

when the tablet tried to find the laptop on the network it wasn't routing properly. When the laptop was switched to use a dynamic IP address it connected straight away. We have a cheap router from our ISP which we may be upgrading soon.
Also I found that

when setting the IP address and port on the settings part on the tablet if we set the refresh interval to never the connection was much more stable.

pete007 said:

The IP address was set to static IP on the laptop but the router was in DHCP mode and issuing IP addresses. This isn't normally a problem as you can have mixed static and dynamic but our router refuses to recognize a fixed IP

address that is on the network so when the tablet tried to find the laptop on the network it wasn't routing properly. When the laptop was switched to use a dynamic IP address it connected straight away. We have a cheap router from our ISP which we may be upgrading

soon.
Also I found that when setting the IP address and port on the settings part on the tablet if we set the refresh interval to never the connection was much more stable.

Peter, as a matter of interest which antivirus software do you use?

Archived