Taken the plunge and ordered elink and RM

If not already done so, download the trial so you can start playing, and more importantly, start reading the manual. You can then turn the demo into the real thing when your licence arrives, you don't have to reinstall, in fact better not to as you will

only have to upgrade to latest again and you may lose what you've already put in the program.

And we look forward to helping by answering the questions you have.

Fishmanoz said:

If not already done so, download the trial so you can start playing, and more importantly, start reading the manual. You can then turn the demo into the real thing when your licence arrives, you don't have to reinstall, in

fact better not to as you will only have to upgrade to latest again and you may lose what you've already put in the program.

Thanks Fishy, I have got the download from

the site and part drawn the layout plan I am very happy that I can just take the licence and apply it to what I have already done on the pc. I will have to use it just for playing trains initially as I will need about 10 decoders for the points and the card

is already caned to death! I have browsed the manual and it looks confusing and complicated, anyway I know from previous experience all you guys here are very helpful and it is reassuring to have your support.

When I defaulted to N gauge I left the

forum as I had nothing of Hornby except 2 reverse loop modules which work brilliantly but with the discovery of elink and RM I believe I can have a brilliant setup.

Currently struggling with my homemade mimic board defining routes so hope this will

make it easier. Not relishing the prospect of wiring in all the decoders though. I was going to use Tawcroft decoders, any comments?

Will try and find what version download of RM and I have.

GarH said:

If the PDF Guide you download with the Demo version is January 2014 and bears the words "1.56 Version" Mum's the word!!!

Excellent and well informed advice from Fishy actually PJMT!!

Found the manual date

and says September 2013 :-( is that a problem or just too bad?

geochoice said:

Found the manual date and says September 2013 :-( is that a problem or just too bad?

No Geochoice that's fine but read it fully - I was just having a dig about an advance release of a later version that incorrectly

appeared on the website and caused a few ripples. Enjoy the product

geochoice said:

...I will need about 10 decoders for the points and the card is already caned to death! I have browsed the manual and it looks confusing and complicated, anyway I know from previous experience all you guys here are very helpful

and it is reassuring to have your support.

Not relishing the prospect of wiring in all the decoders though. I was going to use Tawcroft decoders, any comments?

Hi

Firstly don't worry about the manual being confusing, it isn't,

it is just new to you.

Best read it first and take in what you can, then when you have your software and are looking at certain aspects search them in the manual and they will make sense. Then a couple of months down the line, reread the manual and

doors will open you didn't realise were there.

Yes there are plenty of people on the forum to help you when ever you need help.

Finally the decoders, I considered Tawcroft but in the end went for Cobalt, they are probably the easiest to set up.

You say you need 10 decoders, do you mean 10 points to code, or do you mean 10x the number on a decoder board. Cobalt do a card with 2, a card with 4 and a card with 8 ports on this certainly brings the prices down in total. I used 3 cards which is 3 sets

of 8, although I only use 20 of the 24 ports it made sense to buy 3x 8 ports which means I have some ports free should I need them later. Taking the ADS8 or ADS-8 as it is called the card consisted of 4 pairs but is one card. You just wire the power from your

DCC bus to each set of two being 4 feeds in total then wire your points to each decoder port. It is easy and so is setting them up.

Search ADS8 or ADS-8 in this forum and read the threads. Also search online for the best prices you could be surprised.

PJ_model_trains said:

Hi

Firstly don't worry about the manual being confusing, it isn't, it is just new to you.

Best read it first and take in what you can, then when you have your software and are looking at certain aspects

search them in the manual and they will make sense. Then a couple of months down the line, reread the manual and doors will open you didn't realise were there.

Yes there are plenty of people on the forum to help you when ever you need help.

Finally

the decoders, I considered Tawcroft but in the end went for Cobalt, they are probably the easiest to set up. You say you need 10 decoders, do you mean 10 points to code, or do you mean 10x the number on a decoder board. Cobalt do a card with 2, a card with

4 and a card with 8 ports on this certainly brings the prices down in total. I used 3 cards which is 3 sets of 8, although I only use 20 of the 24 ports it made sense to buy 3x 8 ports which means I have some ports free should I need them later. Taking the

ADS8 or ADS-8 as it is called the card consisted of 4 pairs but is one card. You just wire the power from your DCC bus to each set of two being 4 feeds in total then wire your points to each decoder port. It is easy and so is setting them up.

Search

ADS8 or ADS-8 in this forum and read the threads. Also search online for the best prices you could be surprised.

I already have Peco PL10E motors fitted and working via mimic board, 30 motors in total, I propose using Tawfield Decoders to replace

the push buttons in the mimic board, from the wiring diagram I can retain the 15 volt transformer currently firing the motors and use on the Tawfields.

Fishmanoz said:

If not already done so, download the trial so you can start playing, and more importantly, start reading the manual. You can then turn the demo into the real thing when your licence arrives, you don't have to reinstall, in

fact better not to as you will only have to upgrade to latest again and you may lose what you've already put in the program.

Hi Fishy

So when the elink and RM

package arrives I just use the activation code and the bits I have been playing with on the teaser demo will still be there ok to use? Sounds good so I can continue to design the track plan with confidence.

geochoice said:

I already have Peco PL10E motors fitted and working via mimic board, 30 motors in total, I propose using Tawfield Decoders to replace the push buttons in the mimic board, from the wiring diagram I can retain the 15 volt transformer

currently firing the motors and use on the Tawfields.

Just looked at the Tawcrafts decoders. No technical info seems to be there although I understand from another forum they come with a leaflet which hopefully has programming instructions. More

expensive than some st over £7 per point v £5 per point for ADS8 and ESU. Make sure you buy the one suitable for your peco solenoid motors if you go for them.

papajulietdelta said:

I have Seep motors. Gave up with Esu decoders. Now use Tawcraft.

Brilliant. However, I do use 24v dc aux supply to all my decoders. Bought a bench PSU on EBay.

Good luck.

a
Sounds like a

plan to follow. I have a 15volt supply so I can connect that to the Tawcroft Decoder as the supply and use the track link for the code signal from RM. Got a good deal for bulk order decoders from them.

Also read in manual that RM shows the point direction

set by the arrow on the track, shame about the points only available at right angles at present as a great part of my layout is at 45 degrees. Hopefully Hornby will do an upgrade soon and sort this out. Will try and install RM with code and connect to track

at weekend, replacing my NCE Powercab and run the locos from it while I save up for point decoders.

Archived