Questions from a beginner with RM

As already mentioned I would have some queries with RM so here is the first.

Connected PC and elink and everything great, put in licence code and all well.

Have entered DCC codes for my loco stock and they seem OK all except one, my A1 Tornado, it

works ok when I revert to NCE Powercab but when I go to RM it doesn't move. My other locos respond and all were programmed via NCE previously and work seamlessly with RM. Any ideas please?

Also when I come to add my own pictures to the RM Loco library

they are all too big, suggestions to size them so RM can access the photos to put in the ID page.

Just worth mentioning perhaps is I am running N gauge.

Thanks.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geo, does the Tornado have a different brand of decoder to the rest?

Irrespective, can you put it on the programming track and read its CVs? Then can you write a new address?

Don't have access to the manual but doesn't it have instructions

for sizing your pictures?

Fishmanoz said:

Geo, does the Tornado have a different brand of decoder to the rest?

Irrespective, can you put it on the programming track and read its CVs? Then can you write a new address?

Don't have access to the manual but

doesn't it have instructions for sizing your pictures?

Hi Fishy, thanks for replying.

It has a Bachmann chip the same as the others, think I will change the DCC code via the NCE and see if that helps, if not then will read CV's.

With

regard to the pictures I think I will take all new photos of my locos and save in a file and see if I can reduce them before putting them into RM programme, maybe that will help.

Changing the DCC Code on Tornado has done the trick, why ?? I do not know but not a problem.

Next I want to programme the ipad to run the locos as pc is on other side of room and I will get bad neck or broken leg dashing around between layout and

controller.

Anyway so far so good. Thanks.

Have done that, been to the web address and read instructions, gets the page up and says connecting .....

but doesn't seem to go, probably something in an address needs correcting will ask three year old grand daughter for help or failing that son-in-law,

each of which is more pc savvy than I am. LOL.

Very pleased that it operates the locos on my layout though, so looks like NCE Powercab wil be for sale in the next few weeks to recoup the cost of RM and go towards some DCC point decoders.

Am excited

of the prospect of controlling layout this way. and is looking very promising.

Thanks for your support.

Another query or two....

At what stage do you programme dcc point decoders? Do I connect them to the programme track, assign the code and it automatically adds in the next three codes ( on a 4 point decoder)? Make a note of the codes assigned then

do the next block of 4 ?

Next ...

Not fully understanding the point buttons on RM, what determines which is the green button and which the red, I know they locate at a grid intersection but which is green and which is red?

I have seen

an arrow on the RM track plan, does this indicate the point direction and how do you get that to show? And I think I read that you can right click on the red or green point button to assign the dcc code to that point, presumably if it throws the wrong way,

reverse the connections on the point decoder?

Sorry about those basic questions, just sorting out buying decoders and planning a few days replacing current mimic board buttons with decoders, scary prospect! Think will go for Tawcrofts they use same

Hornby ref and can get them at good price :-). .

Geo, there is a whole range of different way to program decoders depending on the brand. You have to look at the instructions for the type you buy. Look at some recent threads for different types and you'll see. Or ask about a specific one.

Can't

remember which way around but green is set one direction and red the other. In addition to that, the bright one is the direction set, just like the blue arrow on the track.

Yes, right click on point buttons to set up the point details. And yes on direction.

Some program on the programming track, some on the main, again see instructions for type.

For the Hornby 8245, you program it with a group address. Program 1 to first port and it allocates 2,3,4 to the others. Program 2 to first port, it allocates

5,6,7,8 etc. see in Rm am manual.

Keep asking.

Not sure who I said this to previously but in case not you: make sure you buy the correct type for your point motors, whether solenoid like Hornby/Peco or other type. Also note these are more expensive per point than ESU and DCC Concepts, with the latter

also one of the easiest to program.

geochoice said:

Apparently I tell RM the Tawcroft is an R8247 and can programme it and it allocates in sequence, only snag is it doesn't read CV's, dont see an issue on point throwing.

Thanks for hepling to understand.

I

ended up getting these and they throw point really well. To programme though treat as a loco and simply write your required base address to CV1. The RM R8247 route did not work for me.

Finally remember they need a separate power supply (eg 19v dc) but

gives really good performance!

dgilbert2 said:

I ended up getting these and they throw point really well. To programme though treat as a loco and simply write your required base address to CV1. The RM R8247 route did not work for me.

Finally remember they need a

separate power supply (eg 19v dc) but gives really good performance!

Thanks dgi,

Have negotiated good deal on these as I need about 8, did you buy yours directly? Guy seems to respond well to queries.

Back again with another question, When setting up a loco there is the option to set the shunt and cruise speeds, I run N Gauge and the shunt speed is fairly rapid, it seems to be set as the lowest available speed of 5, can this be changed lower is that

the lowest by default?

Thanks.

Have you checked within RailMaster settings that you have selected N scale? This halves the speed of opeartion compared with 00 scale (default setting) and will immediately resolve your issue.

5mp (8kph) has been determined as the lowest successfull

shunting speed, after much testing, as the majority of locos fail to cross points and diamond crossings at lower speeds.

I am trying to operate the lights on/off within RM, I have got the locomotive selected, the F1 function selected to lights on/off and the box to the right ticked and the lights on/off function shows in the loco control but no lights change :-(

Should

this all be done on programming track or can it just be set with the loco sitting on layout as I am only using a function?

Thanks.

HornbyRailMasterSupport said:

Have you checked within RailMaster settings that you have selected N scale? This halves the speed of opeartion compared with 00 scale (default setting) and will immediately resolve your issue.

5mp (8kph)

has been determined as the lowest successfull shunting speed, after much testing, as the majority of locos fail to cross points and diamond crossings at lower speeds.

It is set to N thanks, can control slowly by the slider control so presume

the shunt speed is set as you say for minimum satisfactory running. I can go slower via slider so not an issue. thanks.

Fishmanoz said:

Lights function on the track. Have you checked that the lights in your loco are connected to the white and yellow decoders wires with the blue common?

Hi Fishy

As I still have nce powercab I disconnected

the track from that and put the elink track connection in, I use plug connectors so can swap easily whilst sorting all out, the lights function on and off with the nce, but not with RM. The loco moves ok so I assigned 01 to lights on/off and ticked box left

of blue square but lights not responding thro RM. Is there a cv I should use for lights and not set the one in loco settings? Might add it is bachmann 6 pin chip in Farish Colas 66 I am trying. Thanks.

Fishmanoz said:

Lights function on the track. Have you checked that the lights in your loco are connected to the white and yellow decoders wires with the blue common?

Hi Fishy

As I still have nce powercab I disconnected

the track from that and put the elink track connection in, I use plug connectors so can swap easily whilst sorting all out, the lights function on and off with the nce, but not with RM. The loco moves ok so I assigned 01 to lights on/off and ticked box left

of blue square but lights not responding thro RM. Is there a cv I should use for lights and not set the one in loco settings? Might add it is a 6 pin chip in Colas 66 I am trying. Thanks.

Archived