RailMaster - speed controls for locos

I guess the answer is contact HMRS but I will float it here first then there is member reference for it.

My locos are now in Groups with 3 locos in each group.

If I go to 'Steam Express Group' and choose a steam loco, set sound etc if the

loco to be run has got them then set speed. No problem loco responds as it should.

If I go to 'Diesel Express Group', or 'any other group' and do the same the loco responds as it should.

Now, if I go back to the Steam Express group the loco still

running at the speed initially set but the speed slide indicator is at the bottom.

Has any one else had this? Shall I email HMRS?

PJ

Should be irrelevant Elite or eLink, this in an RM problem.

So Graskie, double check with your setup please. I can't at the moment.

And PJ, yes email HRMS from within RM so they get your log.txt file to see what you were doing.

Hi guys

After creating my layout design I selected it as my default and set the turnouts on this for my preferred start up, prior to clicking the (set points on start up) box.

My problem is that on start up after approx 30 seconds sixty per cent

change incorrectly.

I have also found that even if the box is not ticked the same happens.

Has anybody had this problem and found a way to fix it ?

Jug

As the OP has been hi-jacked let me do the same - Set a loco speed in RM then adjust it using the Elite and the RM throttle shows the change. Adjust the throttle in RM and it doesn't reflect on the Elite so when you take control from there the loco speed

jumps to the Elite set speed. Surely the two should sync with each other bi-directional.

RailMaster and the Elite DCC controller cannot fully synchronise. This is because the Elite was created primarily as a manual control device (knobs and own LCD). A secondary function is connection to a computer.

When you turn either Elite knob for

a particular loco ID, RailMaster can detect this through the USB port and will increase or decrease the on-screen throttle for that loco, both the small and large controllers. This is because the PC software is more powerful and feature-rich than the Elite's

firmware.

However, when you control your locos through your computer and RailMaster you have taken the decision to use an external control system and there is nothing in the firmware of the Elite to set the current speed setting of the Elite's own display.

This is not a failing in the system. The Elite was never designed for this method of dual operation to update the Elite's display.

The same thing applies to loco functions. When operating them through RailMaster using the Elite, the Elite function indicators

do not appear.

HRMS, any answer to PJ's original totally RM problem?

Jug, it would be better to start a new thread to look for an answer to your totally unrelated problem to this thread question. A forum search may help you too as there has been extensive coverage

of setting points on startup previously, with solutions related to adjusting point setting delay in the Railmaster.ini file. And you wouldn't be using SEEP point motors by any chance?

Fishmanoz said:

Jug, it would be better to start a new thread to look for an answer to your totally unrelated problem to this thread question. A forum search may help you too as

there has been extensive coverage of setting points on startup previously, with solutions related to adjusting point setting delay in the Railmaster.ini file. And you wouldn't be using SEEP point motors by any chance?

Hi Fishy, many thanks for

following through with this. I contacted HRMS lunch time today with both RM problems, through RM, we need to give them time. It is weekend anyway and I have to take my wife to hospital tomorrow 8am, they are admitted her for the day for tests on her hear due

to pains she is experiencing.

Many thanks to HRMS for yet again replying to items on the forum. This is the encouragement and reassurance everyone needs.

Fishmanoz said:

Jug, it would be better to start a new thread to look for an answer to your totally unrelated problem to this thread question. A forum search may help you too as

there has been extensive coverage of setting points on startup previously, with solutions related to adjusting point setting delay in the Railmaster.ini file. And you wouldn't be using SEEP point motors by any chance?

Thanks Fishmanoz

I should have started a new thread,posted in a hurry.

I use Peco point motors connected to DCC and AC buses via Merg accessory decoders.

These are already installed and I was trying to set-up the RM layout prior to connecting

to the

Merg decoders.

Does one have to connect the decoders and get them working with RM prior to setting layout

points then set the points in start up position in that order?.

will troll through previous posts as you suggest.

Thanks

again

So jug, am I right that the points aren't actually connected yet, it's just the layout not setting correctly on startup, not that the points themselves don't set?

Can't say I've seen that problem myself, all my points appear correctly on startup.

And the order in which RM sets them is the order in which they were put into the layout in the first place.

Forgive me if I've misinterpreted what you said and it is actual points not setting. This may be caused by RM trying to set them too quickly

before the CDU in your decoders has had time to recharge. This can be solved by setting a longer time between point setting in your Rsilmaster.ini file, and you can also make sure that the installation order is such that it sets only one port of a decoder

at a time and then goes to the next decoder, giving more time to recharge before it comes back to set the second port on the first decoder, if you can understand what I mean. I asked about SEEP for this problem as they take more current than others and so

a longer recharge time is needed, but that shouldn't be an issue with peco.

If you still can't fix it, suggest you email RM Support from within the Help window of RM. They are very good.

Fishmanoz said:

So jug, am I right that the points aren't actually connected yet, it's just the layout not setting correctly on startup, not that the points themselves don't set?

Can't say I've seen that problem myself, all my points

appear correctly on startup. And the order in which RM sets them is the order in which they were put into the layout in the first place.

Forgive me if I've misinterpreted what you said and it is actual points not setting. This may be caused by RM trying

to set them too quickly before the CDU in your decoders has had time to recharge. This can be solved by setting a longer time between point setting in your Rsilmaster.ini file, and you can also make sure that the installation order is such that it sets only

one port of a decoder at a time and then goes to the next decoder, giving more time to recharge before it comes back to set the second port on the first decoder, if you can understand what I mean. I asked about SEEP for this problem as they take more current

than others and so a longer recharge time is needed, but that shouldn't be an issue with peco.

If you still can't fix it, suggest you email RM Support from within the Help window of RM. They are very good.

Hi Fish

I have contacted Hornby as you suggest but just to keep you in the picture this is what I have done.

The point positions were set up on completion of my track plan and the set points checkbox ticked before saving,this was ok as per the

Hornby manual instructions,but as mentioned the point indicators on the plan change incorrectly by themselves after about 30 seconds .

RM and eLink are not yet connected to either track or points.

The Merg accessory modules where installed, setup, and

working with another controller prior to purchasing the RM/eLink.

I have connected a spare Merg module with an address of 29,30,31,32 direct to the eLink program

sockets and a AC connection from the required AC transformer.

On trying to read the module

settings of the above module with RM although I have the AC power direct from the transformer to the module there is no DCC power from eLink.

I then tested the eLink with a multimeter it showed no power from either track or program sockets although RM and

eLink are handshaking.

What I am trying to do is ensure the spare module works before taking out each module from the layout and reading and confirming the set up by then pressing the box with the letterbox and downward pointing arrow.

The spare module

is not faulty.

Jug

PJ_model_trains said:

I guess the answer is contact HMRS but I will float it here first then there is member reference for it.

My locos are now in Groups with 3 locos in each group.

If I go to 'Steam Express Group' and choose

a steam loco, set sound etc if the loco to be run has got them then set speed. No problem loco responds as it should.

If I go to 'Diesel Express Group', or 'any other group' and do the same the loco responds as it should.

Now, if I go back to

the Steam Express group the loco still running at the speed initially set but the speed slide indicator is at the bottom.

Has any one else had this? Shall I email HMRS?

PJ

PJ Did you get a reply from support or even better

a solution as I have the same problem thanks

Oops, you are right. But they did answer and now I'm not sure where. What they said was, groups are designed to be all the locos you use in a session, not as PJ is using them with more then one group used in a session. So yes, throttle settings are lost

if you move between groups and they don't see this as being a priority for changing.

Archived