How many locos can you run at the same time with elink and a 4 amp supply

doodd

Having just read a post in goods yard controls poliss says you can run up to 10 locos with a 4 amp supply which is what i have been led to believe.But having just read through the rm manual again it says on page 16 (Each Hornby Elite unit has a 4amp power

supply, which can control up to 40

modern locomotives simultaneously and the Select or eLink, with its 1amp

supply can control 10 (at moderate scale speeds), although you can have many

more locos on your layout, and many points and signals. If you

want to control

several locomotives at the same time as well as numerous points and signals

you can attach a second controller to another free USB port and dedicate

Controller A to locomotives and Controller B to signals and points. This will

avoid

possible power consumption problems.)

Now if i am reading this right it states up to 40 is this possible with just a 4 amp supply

I suppose it might be, doodd, with basic DCC locos and basic limited functions. If you venture into additional functions such as lights and sound, for instance, then you probably wouldn't get anywhere near that number. The DCC techy leccies need to reply

really.

I just rechecked the manual to see if there had been updates that I'd missed. Version 1.41 is the one online. It says up to 10 locos can be controlled at once.

The Hornby Elite/Select comparison page says the Elite 'Controls up to 64 locomotives at

any one time providing the power is available.' The important point is the power available, which would mean including boosters.

[reply]poliss said:

I just rechecked the manual to see if there had been updates that I'd missed. Version 1.41 is the one online. It says up to 10 locos can be controlled at once.

The Hornby Elite/Select comparison page says the Elite 'Controls

up to 64 locomotives at any one time providing the power is available.' The important point is the power available, which would mean including boosters.[just checked what version the one on my desktop is and it is version 1.55]

The Hornby Railmaster page says 'Control 10 locomotives at the same time!'

The amount of locos you can control depends on the power draw of the loco and the power output of the controller.

A 4amp supply will power around 10 locos at once.

The Elite puts 4 Amps to the track when powered by the 4 Amp supply. A modern loco draws around 300mAmps at full speed, less if at a lower more realistic scale speed. If it has lights etc, these can draw up to 100mA for each decoder. Accessories like points

and signals also draw power when they are operating and so leave less for locos.

Do the maths. You'll find yourself back at the same 10 locos or so as in the Elite manual v1.41 and RM manual v1.55.

Fishmanoz said:

The Elite puts 4 Amps to the track when powered by the 4 Amp supply.

That's not quite correct. The Elite can supply 3 amps to the track. 1 amp is reserved for the auxiliary 15v dc output.

Rog (RJ) said:

That's not quite correct. The Elite can supply 3 amps to the track. 1 amp is reserved for the auxiliary 15v dc output.

Perfectly correct Rog, but I should have said eLink, that being the subject in the thread title.

Archived