Railroad Tornado derailment issue

joeavfc

WTD put -

It's not unusual for a train to run round for 30 minutes and then a wagon will suddenly fall over. - - Usually after you have been practising for that 'this is my railway' video and got everything working perfectly - then you point a camera at it!!   Crunch!

That's usually want happens to me when SWMBO walks into the room to see my progress lol

Tee

Hi Pete_wilding. As has been said usually the culprits are back to back measurement being outside of the 14.5mm required thus causing derailments, poor track laying, ballast or in very rare cases the bogie being too tight. Another thing with today's locos is a lot of the steam locos have plastic wheel centres and spokes and the plastic can distort as the plastic shrinks slightly after moulding or bend after a dropping incident.

Hi Pete_wilding. As has been said usually the culprits are back to back measurement being outside of the 14.5mm required thus causing derailments, poor track laying, ballast or in very rare cases the bogie being too tight. Another thing with today's locos is a lot of the steam locos have plastic wheel centres and spokes and the plastic can distort as the plastic shrinks slightly after moulding or bend after a dropping incident.

Thank you ,will investigate furthur,much obliged

Pete

• 5 years later...

Had this issue with my railroad Tornado for about two years, spent most of that time in the siding as it kept derailing. Tried all the internet solutions but to no avail. So just recently had time to look at the problem and after relaying a point which it commonly derailed and still did, I decided to film it passing over the point. I managed to catch the derailment in action and noticed that the leading drive wheel bounced up as it went over the point. So I watched it going around the track observing the driving wheels and noticed that the front (smokebox & bodywork) was moving up and down in relation to the front boogie. Took the engine off the track and whilst on the work bench gently pushed down on the cab roof and I was surprised how easy it was to lift the front of the engine off the ground. I then strapped a PP9 battery to the front and put it back on the track and ran for one hour with no derailment. Again the following day I ran it for two hours with seven coaches and again no derailment. Later took the wieght off and ran it light, it derailed on the second pass. The weight I put on it was about 1.5 ounces. My theory on this is that the design of the engine is too light at the front, and with the dummy pony truck at the rear, the engine is lifting when powering and the front driving wheel is very light on the rail; the pivot point being the rear driving wheel. If you still have this problem give a put of weight on the front and see if that cures the derailment.