Hornby Railroad

Hi all

I am new to Hornby collectors club and have notices that Hornby seem to have two levels in their product range for price and quality......I think the more economical range is "Railroad" and this is mainly for kids.....is this correct? and as a budding collector should I avoid this product?

Steve W

Australia

As to the second part of your question. the Railroad range is not just for 'kids', but offers a budget range for all age groups and can be especially useful for people who want less expensive models that they can modify or add detail to their own choice. I buy Railroad stuff and I am over 65! It would be nice if more 'Southern; stuff were available from Railroad.

A lot of the Railroad Models were originally introduced in the 1970's and 80's and have less detail.  They form a range that suits the pockets of the majority and of those not bothered about having the superfragile superdetail models.  Most of the railroad steamers have uprated valvegear i.e. the paperthin type now used on the superdetail models, and modern disposable non-servicable can motors in the locos which is standard more or less acrosss the range now sadly, some models such as the A4 still retain the old ringfield tender motor casting in the tender but minus the motor guts, the casting is used as a weight for the tender.

Railroad is the best seller for retailers, we sell piles of it, the Railroad 0-4-0's are particularly popular and have a collectors following. Their size makes them perfect cabinet display locos as you can get a lot fo them in a small cabinet due to they small size.  Avoid the ex-Lima level crossing which Hornby make in the Railroad range with the 10 foot drop in the middle though, it's dire.

You also don't have as many problems of fragility as a lot of the superdetail models are superfragile. Railroad models can be handled and used without too much worry about knocking steps off etc.

I would describe Railroad as study functional models at a price to suit everyone.

Archived